Police Community Support Officer March 2022
- Job Reference: 1879164
- Date Posted: 13 September 2021
- Employer: Greater Manchester Police
- Location: Manchester
- Salary: £21,135 to £23,406
- Sector: Law enforcement & Security, Law
- Job Type: Full Time
Greater Manchester Police has a unique opportunity to join the force as a Police Community Support Officer. This is a permanent role with GMP and initially the role will include a period of training at our Sedgley Park Training Complex to complete the training programme.
Police Community Support Officers are an important part of our ‘policing family’. Everyday PCSOs will support the communities of Greater Manchester providing a high profile, uniformed presence. They provide a valuable role in preventing crime, gathering intelligence and reassuring the public. This is a real career for people interested in helping others – real people, just like them.
PCSOs will deal with a range of issues and incidents, and will spend the majority of their time patrolling the local neighbourhoods gaining trust and confidence. They are a valuable presence in crime ‘hot spots’ – a real deterrent to criminal and anti-social behaviour.
Our PCSOs will be required to have certain key skills and qualifications to apply for this role, these include:
GCSE - English and Maths at A-C Grade or Level 2 and above or Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths (This is a mandatory requirement)
You will also be required:-
• To be able to deal with people from a range of different backgrounds, often in pressured and emergency situations.
• To be positive and professional whilst demonstrating empathy.
• To have a range of practical skills, these include having the initiative to respond to different situations calmly, managing changing circumstances and demands.
• To be a confident and effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
You should have experience of working with the public or be involved in the community. PCSOs will be required to produce written reports and have a general knowledge of administration experience.
Being able to speak an additional language that is reflective of GMP’s communities will also be beneficial.
This is a uniformed role operating on a shift pattern covering 365 days a year, 7 days a week between the hours of 7.00am to midnight. Applicants will be required to attend a medical are also provide fingerprints and a DNA sample which will be used to speculatively search against local and national databases prior to a formal offer of appointment.
Initial start dates are scheduled for March 2022, and those appointed will be expected to complete a period of training at our Training Centre in Prestwich (please note you will be required to attend the whole of the training course, and any holidays or annual leave will NOT be authorized/approved).
PLEASE ANSWER THE 2 QUESTIONS BELOW AND ADD TO YOUR CV AND THEN UPLOAD YOUR CV AT THE RELEVANT POINT IN THE APPLICATION FORM. - Any errors with your files and submission cannot be corrected afterwards.
Please answer the 2 questions below with NO more than 300 words per question:-
1) Why do you want to be a Apprentice Police Community Support Officer with Greater Manchester Police and what skills and experience can you bring to the role.
2) Provide an example of how you have been involved with the public or community and what was your involvement.
SHOULD WE REACH THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS, THIS VACANCY WILL CLOSE EARLIER THAN THE DATE SPECIFIED BELOW.