About the role:
Leading the Civil Engineering Discipline at Thames Water, this role will be part of the team that creates the intelligent client Thames Water needs to be able to achieve its AMP7 ambitions and beyond. Focusing on the Civil Engineering discipline the role will provide the expertise needed to:
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Get the right technical requirements with the Project Definition Briefs.
- Input and continuously improve Technical Asset Standards.
- Provide Design sign-off to Capital Delivery as the Delivery Stream dictates.
- Provide technical assurance during the delivery, commissioning and hand-over of Assets.
- Drive the advancement of their engineering discipline.
- Ensure and deliver the Engineering Regulatory compliance on relevant Assets in the Civil Engineering Area.
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Lead excellence in Civil Engineering Discipline for Thames Water.
- Management of a team of up to 15 engineers and third-party support.
- Provide the technical input into Project Definition Briefs.
- Lead the civil input into asset surveys and plant condition assessments, feasibility studies, optioneering, whole life costing and preliminary designs.
- Provide the technical sign-off and assurance during technical delivery including handover.
- Ensure we are compliant with Engineering based regulatory requirements in their area.
- Support the establishment of a Centre of Excellence for Engineering.
- Support the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable Engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that leads Thames’s Engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond.
What’s in it for you?
- A recognised leader in Civil Engineering with considerable experience in the water industry.
- Significant experience in one or more water utility civil infrastructure design and construction, water/wastewater treatment works and hydraulics design and construction.
- Understanding of the regulatory environment to achieve Compliance with our Engineering regulatory requirements.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills both internally and externally.
- Collaborative and the ability to influence senior colleagues.
- Budget management experience.
- Degree level or equivalent, likely in their Engineering Discipline and with professional chartership.
- A passion of continuous professional development and collaborative approach to driving diversity within Engineering in Thames Water.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the newly established Engineering Team, who are responsible for providing technical expertise to the business. You will be able to help shape the new engineering function and to design solutions for implementation as part of a wide portfolio of projects.
Our competitive salary and package include a competitive bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday. There is also a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefits on Taps. Flexible and remote working may be considered for this role.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.