Principal EC&I Engineer
Location: Westlakes Science & Technology Park, Cumbria, GB, CA24 3HZ
About the role
Here at Cavendish Nuclear / Babcock International, we're seeking a Principal Engineer to provide leadership in the delivery of engineering and technical activities through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
This is the level for an experienced engineer working as a subject matter expert in a specialist subject area (e.g. an engineering sub function). Understands concepts and principles, shapes, designs, developments and determines a solution to functional issues personally undertakes the most complex work within the subject area. Extends their business knowledge base in the subject area. Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development, provides coaching and assistance to others.
The role requirements will include:
* Ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope
* Supervise engineers/technical specialists
* Promote effective co-operation across Engineering and other functional teams
* Ensure effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
* Ensure technical management of the engineering output to ensure delivery of technical solutions in line with agreed technical scope
* Produce, review, verify and approve outputs including: calculations, analyses, technical reports, technical specifications and method statements
* Ensure that adequate review, verification and approval is undertaken on all their deliverables and for those under their direct control and supervision
* Ensure that procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities
* Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
* Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of assigned work scope
* Ensure project and technical audits and review are planned & executed in order to impart learning and experience as appropriate and in line with agreed standards
We would also like you to:
* Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change
* Contribute to learning from experience (LfE) requirement, during and post project
* Support business development opportunities.
* Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender requirements, including estimates
What do I need to do the role?
* Engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience
* Chartered Engineer status
* Demonstrable experience in managing teams to deliver analysis activities on a range of project types
* Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities
* Excellent communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
* Member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council
* Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
* Breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences to be shown at interview stage
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview