Principal Engineer Safety and Environmental
Business Unit - Energy & Marine
Locaion - Bristol, Plymouth or Devonport
About the role
Due to growth within our contracts, we are looking to recruit a Principal Safety & Environmental Engineer at our brand new facility in North Bristol. The Principal Engineer will be responsible for support design change safety case proposals across military platforms including weaponry and communication systems for vessels such as the T45 Destroyers and QEC Aircraft Carriers.
These roles will suit an experience safety case engineer with experience in creating and implementation of safety cases as well as the ability to inspire and lead an established team.
As well as working on some of the most high-profile projects in the UK we also offer a supportive work environment where innovation is at the heart of what we do.
Main Purpose of Role
* Provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to surface ship, submarine and commercial projects;
* Provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems;
* Support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases;
* Plan and control of work to time, cost and quality;
* Provide support in own engineering specialisation to other members of the safety team;
* Production of safety and environmental reports and cases.
What do I need to do the role?
The Safety Engineer is required to have an extensive experience within a Safety Case related position.
Key Leadership/Management Skills
* Good people management skills;
* Good team player but able to plan and work alone;
* Prepared and able to make decisions in own sphere of responsibility.
Key Interpersonal and Behavioural Skills
* Displays flexibility, enthusiasm, drive and commitment;
* Able to produce outputs to Quality, Time and Budget;
* Good influencing skills and customer focus;
* Committed to ensuring design safety and prepared to challenge output when required;
* Desire to learn new skills in support of role;
* Ideally qualified to HND level but an ONC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
Business Unit - Energy & Marine
Energy & Marine is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the offshore, marine and defence markets worldwide. Within this business unit, Naval Engineering have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
E&M offers the opportunity to work on interesting and varied design and engineering projects supporting defence and commercial clients in the UK and internationally. E&M operates within the UK including Rosyth, Bristol and Plymouth, as well as having employees based internationally. E&M aim to continue recent business growth which provides great opportunities for career progression and development.
Babcock Energy and Marine (E&M) Safety Engineering Group (SEG) provides safety and environmental engineering management services for surface ships, submarine and commercial projects but excluding those with a nuclear implication.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.