Principal Infrastructure & Services Support Analyst
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking to recruit an experienced Infrastructure Support Analyst to provide high quality support and expertise for the operation of the Keynsham/Bristol-based IT data centres. The role will specialise within the infrastructure support team for maintaining the high availability of core infrastructure networks including firewalls, switches, routers, load balancers and intrusion detection equipment.
- Carry out a full range of general tasks working as part of a dedicated IT infrastructure team in running critical data centres and core applications, including managing and monitoring server hardware and software, and the installation, support and upgrade of hardware and software infrastructure elements
- Maintaining the high availability of core infrastructure networks including firewalls, switches, routers, load balancers and intrusion detection equipment, across a range of equipment including Cisco, HP, F5 switches, firewalls and load balancers
- Plan, design, analyse, and provide technical support for networks, including research and evaluation of network technology and recommending purchases of network equipment
- Design and implement new network solutions and improving the resilience of the current environments; maximising network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and ensuring network optimisation
- Secure network systems by establishing and enforcing policies, and defining and monitoring access, and support and administer firewall environments
- Assist with other general infrastructure duties such as server/VM build, storage/SAN management, and backup/recovery
- Using available software and specialist monitoring tools to support the monitoring, troubleshooting and auditing of core Infrastructure applications systems and services
- Give instruction to less experienced IT colleagues
- Responds to enquiries by management, specialists or others and is able to deal with a range of problems including those of high complexity
- Conducts investigations of operational problems, makes proposals for improvement, and implements them when appropriate
- Participates in reviews of systems performance, and provides consultancy and advice
What do I need to do the role?
- Experience in supporting networks in complex and demanding environments spanning a broad range of equipment, i.e. Cisco, HP, F5 switches, firewalls and load balancers
- Network qualifications such as CCNA or CompTIA desirable
- Experience of VMware vSphere/ESX infrastructure support
- Experience of general server hardware build, support and upgrading
- Knowledge of Windows server/clients and Linux operating systems
- Event log auditing and management of systems and applications
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role, including DV clearance
- Due to the nature of the responsibilities, this role is predominately office based
- There will be some opportunities for overtime and time in lieu due to out of hours and rota work
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.