Principal Quality Engineer
Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Here at Babcock International, we own and operate complex marine engineering infrastructure at Devonport Dockyard, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe, delivering through-life engineering services, technology, equipment consultancy and training to global defence and civil customers.
The Strategic Infrastructure team are responsible for Major Infrastructure upgrades to the Devonport Dockyard and work on some of the most complex, challenging projects on the planet. Due to future plans to renew the site, we are recruiting heavily and looking to bring on board a proven Principal Quality Engineer.
This role is supporting the Major Infrastructure Projects Business Unit in its delivery of new or upgraded facilities as required to support the planned maintenance activities on submarines and warships. You will take lead on driving an efficient quality culture and ensure we are getting the best out of our existing contracts.
About the role
* Quality lead for multiple projects within the Submarine Refitting Complex (SRC), which are the responsibility of the Major Infrastructure Projects Business Unit.
* Responsible for assuring Quality Management Plans, Inspection & Test Plans and Life Time Quality Records are fit for purpose.
* Lead the quality team in support of projects in their execution of work packages to assure the quality deliverables are achieved.
* Represent Quality at project meetings.
* Manage team of Senior and Quality Assurance Engineer's assuring the support delivers excellent customer service.
* Assure delivery of the internal / external audits to programme and support 3rd party audits when required.
* Lead the facilitation of improvement initiatives.
* Liaise with external bodies and customer representatives for the execution of their assessments and assure customer satisfaction.
* Manage the verification of corrective actions raised as a result of both first, second and third party audits and ensure resulting sustained improvement.
* Manage the quality risk reduction programme for the MIP related SRC activities.
* Lead on delivering quality focused metrics for inclusion into management reports
Key skills and knowledge
* ISO 9001:2015
* Knowledge on continuous improvement techniques
* Experience in auditing is essential
Key behaviours and technical competancies
* Demonstrate a 'Can Do' attitude
* Willing to take on any reasonable quality related task
* Good communication skills
* Self-starter with good priority management skills
* Experience of managing Quality Assurance and Quality Control within the Engineering sector, including supply chain functions, ideally in the construction sector.
* Knowledge of change management and improvement programmes.
* HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline or NVQ Level 4 or recognised professional status or significant experience in relevant engineering discipline with NVQ Level 3 in an engineering discipline.
* A recognised professional qualification in quality management.
* Certified Lead Auditor.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.