Job title: Principal Technician (8803)
Location: Farnborough, GB Company: QinetiQ
About the role
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Technician to work within our UK Headquarters at Farnborough. We are currently looking to recruit a Principal Technician (Electronic Workshop Supervisor) to complement our electronic and electrical team supporting the operation of the 5m Wind Tunnel Facility, which is used primarily by major international aircraft manufacturing companies for testing scale models of commercial aircraft.
The full benefits package includes - Basic Salary, Overtime, Training & Development including Authorised Person Courses, Pension, 25 days Annual Leave, Yearly Bonus, share incentive plan, private medical insurance, private dental insurance, childcare vouchers, holiday vouchers, other leisure discounts, etc.
What do I need?
You'll need experience in some of the following areas would be desirable, but not essential:
- Electronics engineering to NVQ level 4 / HNC (or equivalent) or higher, or suitable experience
- Possess a working knowledge of electronic equipment and systems.
- 18th edition certification would be preference would train from 17th
- Have a good working knowledge of instrumentation and data acquisition equipment
- Ability to interpret electronic and drawings (ability to use electronic drawing packages such as ORCAD would be beneficial)
- Knowledge and experience of planned maintenance systems.
- Familiarity with "LABVIEW" programming software would be beneficial
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum. Please visit UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: Guidance for Applicants via the GOV.UK website.
What will I be doing?
You will provide electronic support to this facility, reporting to the controls, systems and instrumentation: Farnborough team leader. You'll also be supervising a team of electronic technicians
You will be responsible for:
- Set up Instrumentation and Data acquisition systems in line with the tunnel programme. Rig and derig scale aircraft models to be tested.
- Installing, maintaining, modifying and repairing electronic systems in the facility.
- Fault finding, diagnosis and maintenance of electronic systems down to component level where necessary to maintain tunnel systems and instrumentation.
- Preparation & maintenance of documentation for electronic system
- Support customer trials. Must be prepared to work double day shift as required.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You'll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you'll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You'll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what's happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.