About the role:
The purpose of this role is to ensure the Process Science team are supported and lead effectively. The Process Science Team work on potable water only. As the Process Science Manager, you will be managing and developing a team of Process Scientists who provide expert technical support and guidance to operational teams in order to comply with statutory, regulatory and business objectives.
You will be expected to drive improvements and ensure team members meet H&S requirements and KPI’s. The team undertake a number of proactive and reactive activities to ensure that water quality is maintained and incidents are responded to, resolved and plans put in place to prevent any future problems, in a timely and effective manner.
As the manager of this team, you will be expected to ensure the quality of your team's work is to the correct standard and that they are receiving adequate coaching to achieve these targets. A requirement of the role will be to respond to incidents and support the team when needed.Working in a collaborative team, key areas of responsibility will include:
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Water quality monitoring from the source to service reservoir.
- Investigating water quality failures/events at company assets and raising for capture on the DWSP. Provide recommendations to both internal and external departments on how such events can be prevented in the future.
- Provide technical support to Production and Capital Delivery schemes in order to ensure that water quality requirements are met.
- Conduct internal water treatment works process audits.
- Participate in an out of hours rota providing advice in events and responding to sample failures.
- Provide coaching, support and guidance to your team, ensuring that they are equipped to perform their role to the highest possible standard.
- Represent the company in meeting with stakeholders to build awareness internally and externally and maintain the reputation of the Thames Water brand.
- Travel around Thames Water’s catchment area as required.
What’s in it for you?
- HNC or degree (or equivalent) in a Scientific or Engineering discipline.
- Significant experience in water treatment processes, supply or regulation.
- Experience of working with Sample Manager, EQUIS and SAP systems is desirable.
- Previous line management experience would be an advantage although this is not essential.
- Good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to liaise confidently with a range of internal stakeholders.
- Travel between sites is required as a major part of this role and a full UK driving license is essential.
- Ability to work in a logical and analytical manner.
- Ability to adopt a positive and professional approach when dealing with customers is essential.
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on current experience within this environment and impart best practice to the Water Production team, ensuring that they consistently achieve compliant drinking water. You will also be responsible for providing technical support to Production and Capital Delivery Schemes and a range of internal stakeholders to ensure that water quality requirements are met.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, a minimum of 26 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 30 days depending on grade and length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by suppling 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.