Make a difference
We're looking for a Project Engineer to join our design change management team in Bristol, to deliver advice, solve problems and develop design change proposals for Royal Navy vessels.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Project Engineer, skilled in communication, organisation and stakeholder management to join our engineering team to support the Royal Navy in design change in both Type 45 Destroyers and QEC Aircraft Carrier.
What will you be doing?
Working with stakeholders across our business and with our Defence partners, you will be interpreting requirements and undertaking complex technical investigations to develop and manage in-service design changes to Type 45 destroyers and the Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carriers, with the overall objecting of supporting the delivery of the Maritime Systems Support Partner (MSSP) Systems Technical Authority role.
The experience you'll bring:
You will be an agile, self-motivated, and effective team player who can apply systems thinking to a diverse range of marine systems equipment to transform complex problems into simple, elegant solutions. You will be driven to make a positive impact daily. You will be able to demonstrate:
* Experience of engineering design, or support of, complex engineering systems or equipment, ideally Naval
* A proven ability to work in a collaborative manner across a multi-disciplinary team and stakeholders.
* An effective decision maker who can understand complex issues (balancing the detail and the big picture), using insight / evidence and their judgement to deliver great results in a timely manner
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to elicit customer requirements, understand the issues and develop technical recommendations
* An understanding of design intent and engineering governance and their application to the requirements of a project
Education and qualifications
* A minimum of an HND in an engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
* The role does not require professional accreditation, but candidates holding or working towards professional accreditation is preferable. Support will be available to assist achieving accreditation.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working - we give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met
* A modern working environment with great facilities on site.
* Autonomy to perform the role
* Opportunities to develop your career
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Scheme
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support, advice and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
The Babcock Support Value Stream consists of over 1500 employees working together from sites across the UK and the world to deliver our mission of providing smart, sustainable support to empower our customer's operational success worldwide. We provide agile, tailored and scalable end-to-end solutions that will deliver equipment, system and platform support, drawing on our experience in generating and sustaining naval ships on global operations since 1907. We look to maximise our customer's potential by optimising availability, reducing lifecycle costs and decreasing our impact on the environment.
The Marine Systems Support Partnership (MSSP) engineering team in Bristol is a key component of this, delivering high quality engineering solutions from our base in Bristol Business Park to ships across the globe. A small 17 strong team within an overall MSSP engineering team of 80 delivering daily, whilst creating a welcoming and engaging place to work.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other 'need to knows':
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance for this role.
* Occasional UK travel may be required.
* Your safety and wellbeing are of paramount importance to us and health and safety is an integral part of our business. We operate in a high-risk environment; therefore we are looking for people who share our understanding and respect for health and safety for ourselves and each other to ensure that everyone goes home safe every day.