Job Title: Project Manager (International Spares Delivery Lead)
Location: Flexible with occasional travel to Bristol
Type: Full-time, Permanent
Job ID: SF44509
Make a real impact, immediately
Babcock Mission Systems is looking for a dynamic and ambitious leader with strong experience and a proven track record in project delivery and project controls.
Within the International Submarines & Support focus area, Babcock Mission Systems has existing and long-standing contracts for the supply of Through Life Support (TLS) services for Weapons Handling and Launch System (WHLS) on both the Canadian Victoria class submarines and the Australia Collins class submarines. In addition to the Canadian and Australian customers we also have WHLS entering service on both the Spanish S80 class submarines and the South Korean Jangbogo-III class submarines opening up significant opportunity for expansion of our existing international TLS business into these markets.
The successful candidate will take accountability for the delivery of spares across all of our international WHLS TLS customers including organic growth and support to exploitation of new market opportunities. The successful candidate will also join the International Submarines & Support Focus Area Leadership Team from which we provide new build hardware and TLS for a range of international customers.
The International Submarines & Support focus area has a healthy, long-term order-book and sits within a growing business that is consistently achieving double digit annual growth by protecting existing interests, adapting to a changing defence landscape, and growing into new markets by embracing new technology.
The difference our new Project Manager will make
Reporting to the International Submarines and Support Focus Area Lead, accountability and responsibilities are as follows:
- Accountability for the successful delivery of WHLS spares and associated documentation to a range of international customers within agreed timescales and budgets and to the specified quality.
- Active exploitation of growth opportunities with existing customers and support to the development of new market spares opportunities.
- Growth and development of the team, the processes, and the use of tools to meet the demands of existing and new customers and to maximise efficiency.
- Build and maintain constructive working relationships both within Babcock and with key customer points of contact. Overall accountability for timely and accurate reporting of management information both within the business and to the customers.
- Leadership of the International Spares Delivery Team including setting of objectives and performance targets, support and coaching and holding individuals to account for their respective responsibilities and performance.
- Ensuring that the delivery team understand overall cost / time / quality requirements and remain co-ordinated in their approach to delivering the overall contracted scope of work.
- Working with the Supply Chain and Commercial teams to solicit and negotiate supplier pricing and establish effective supply contracts.
- Identification and exploitation of cost / time out opportunities that improve delivery performance.
- Ensuring that appropriate project controls are effectively utilised to manage schedule, cost, scope and risk information.
- Ensuring appropriate levels of governance and assurance (as per the Business Management System) are being applied.
- Leading on internal reporting of management information to support governance requirements.
- Engagement in portfolio wide initiatives to collaborate, share and develop resource for the benefit of the wider Focus Area and improve performance.
Who we're looking for:
We are looking for a high calibre Project Manager with demonstrable expertise in the delivery of high integrity engineered products. Commercially and financially astute and with well-honed organisational and planning skills, you will be accustomed to frequent interaction with senior leaders and key stakeholders, utilising your strong communication, relationship building and team playing capability. You're someone who brings big ideas and solves complex problems with simple and elegant solutions. You continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, actively seek out different perspectives.
Education and qualifications
APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ) - or equivalent is advantageous.
Project management experience in a setting of comparable complexity and requiring a similar set of transferrable skills. A robust background in project controls, project governance and complex engineering procurement. Experience in business winning activity, ideally including pipeline management, pricing, internal governance procedures, bidding / proposal development. Used to frequent interaction with senior leaders and key stakeholders
What else do I need to know?
All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
- We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
- If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.