Job Title: Project Manager (International Technical Support)
Location: Flexible with occasional travel to Bristol
Role Type: Full-time, Permanent
Job ID: SF44862
Babcock Mission Systems is looking for a dynamic and ambitious individual with strong experience and a proven track record in project delivery and project controls.
Make a real impact, immediately
Within the International Submarines & Support focus area, Babcock Mission Systems has existing and long-standing contracts for the supply of Through Life Support (TLS) services for Weapons Handling and Launch System (WHLS) and Submerged Signal Ejectors (SSE) on both the Canadian Victoria class submarines and the Australia Collins class submarines. In addition to the Canadian and Australian customers we also have products entering service on both the Spanish S80 class submarines and the South Korean Jangbogo-III class submarines opening up significant opportunity for expansion of our existing international TLS business into these markets.
You will report to the International Technical Support Delivery Lead and also join the International Submarines & Support Focus Area Team which provides new build hardware and TLS for a range of international customers. You will join a technical support team comprising of fifteen engineers and two project people at a time where we are conducting initial planning for our next multi-million-pound, multi-year project.
The International Submarines & Support focus area has a healthy, long-term order-book and sits within a growing business that is consistently achieving double digit annual growth.
The difference our new Project Manager will make
Reporting to the International Technical Support Delivery Lead, responsibilities are as follows: -
- The successful delivery of technical support for our submarine products to a range of international customers within agreed timescales and budgets and to the specified quality.
- The realisation of organic growth opportunities with existing customers and support to the development of new market opportunities.
- Growth and development of the team, the processes, and the use of tools to meet the demands of existing and new customers and to maximise efficiency.
- Build and maintain constructive working relationships both within Babcock and with key customer points of contact.
- The timely and accurate reporting of management information both within the business and to the customers.
- Owning the development of the Tech Support Schedule to improve the effective management of available resources and efficient invoicing and reporting.
- Ensuring that the delivery team understand overall cost / time / quality requirements and remain co-ordinated in their approach to delivering the overall contracted scope of work.
- Identification and exploitation of cost / time out opportunities that improve delivery performance.
- Ensuring that project controls are utilised to manage schedule, cost, scope, and risk information.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for an effective Project Manager with demonstrable expertise in the delivery of high integrity engineered products. Commercially and financially astute and with well-honed organisational and planning skills, you will be accustomed to frequent interaction with senior leaders and key stakeholders, utilising your strong communication, relationship building and team playing capability. Most importantly, your motivation, drive and passion for managing and delivering successful programme outcomes will win the hearts and minds of customers and colleagues alike.
- Project management experience in a setting of comparable complexity and requiring a similar set of transferrable skills.
- A robust background in project controls, project governance and resource management.
- Experience in business winning activity, ideally including pipeline management, pricing, internal governance procedures, bidding / proposal development.
- Used to frequent interaction with senior leaders and key stakeholders
Education and qualifications
- APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ) or equivalent.
- Project Risk Management Course is advantageous.
- Qualification in Management and Leadership (such as ILM) is advantageous.
What else do I need to know?
Applicants must have legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance including 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences shown at interview stage.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture. If you need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
- Opportunities to develop your career and progress within Babcock. Regular exposure to the Babcock senior management team.
- The opportunity to deliver a complex project to support the defence of the UK and our allies.
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments