Job Title: TDI -R&D Engineer / Software Engineer - AUV
Main Purpose of Role
Babcock Defence Systems Technology (DST) has an enviable reputation for fostering partnerships and innovation, and delivering technological advantage to an array of global customers. We are building on these strengths with the creation of an innovation hub which will be at the forefront of our contribution to ensure DST remains at the forefront of defense and security innovation.
The Technology, Design and Innovation (TDI) team will be built from a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences; highly motivated people who are driven by the prospect of working with industry leading technology in a challenging, agile and forward looking environment. A dynamic bench of professionals comprising both permanent and secondee positions, TDI will adapt to bring fresh thinking to growth opportunities, develop new capabilities and put innovation at the centre of DST growth moving forward.
We have a current R&D project working to develop the mechanical, electrical and software systems to support AUV exploitation.
We are looking for software engineers to join an established team working in a fast paced, iterative design process, solving a range of technical and non-technical challenges including:
- Using subsea acoustic, free space optical, and computer vision localisation to determine relative AUV position and heading.
- Using a 3D virtual environment to integrate all system information to act as a real time operator interface, enabling control of our system and the AUV systems.
- Developing a GUI to support capture & recording of test data, and performance evaluation of the system.
- Using a PLC to control the articulated/actuated aspects of our system and interpret sensor readings.
- Designing, building, and testing, electrically and hydraulically actuated mechanical subsea systems which have to operate under significant loads and in harsh environments.
In addition to the current project we need software engineers to drive our research and development efforts and to realise innovation projects and prototypes across multiple domains. We are looking for individuals who are self-starters with initiative and a broad range of technical skills who can work on a wide range of communication and integration themed innovation projects ranging from embedded prototypes to GIS and the identification and exploitation of new technologies.
Enthusiastic technologists who are able to design and implement a prototype from a minimal brief and design, either as an individual or as part of a team. People who thrive in an environment where requirements and priorities can change rapidly to meet needs of our customers and where every day is a learning day; actively seeking out new knowledge, tools and technologies to help take us forward into the future.
Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess experience building and testing with:
* Experience developing C# GUIs and other applications.
* Experience with Unity or Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)/Helix toolkit and C#.
* Experience with developing flight control algorithms in Simulink or C++.
* Experience with Open CV or other computer vision tools.
* Experience with IEC61131 development environments (we use Beckhoff PLCs).
* Experience with Python for visualising data.
* Experience with NEMA 0183 or other low level communications protocols and networking.
And will be/possess:
* Problem solving, agility & lateral thinking
* Ability to upskill, learn new subjects & skills
* Time management and prioritisation
* Collaborative and interpersonal skills
Successful applicants will demonstrate that they are critical thinkers able to be innovative in their approach and thinking and able to work at pace balancing multiple priorities concurrently. Collaboration, adaptability and inclusion are key to the success of DST and these will be core attributes of all TDI team members.
What else do I need to know?
- All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.