Renewables and Commercial Projects Manager
Salary & Benefits (4b): £38,867 - £42,500 + up to 10% pension with 5% contribution + annual bonus + retail savings schemes + online GP access + life assurance cover + free on-site parking + 25 days holiday + 1 wellbeing day + bank holidays
Location: Bradford / Hybrid Working 2 office days a week
Work type: Permanent. 37 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Renewables and Commercial Projects Manager to join the Commercial and Markets team at Kelda Group, the parent company of Yorkshire Water, and be a part of helping Yorkshire Water to provide the best service to our customers. Could this be you?
What we do:
Everyone has an idea of what a water company does. Here in Yorkshire, we make sure that over 5.4 million people living in the region and the millions of people who visit our region each year can rely on our services and enjoy clean and safe drinking water on tap and be confident that their wastewater is safely taken away. But for us, it's so much more than this.
We look after communities, protect the environment, and plan to look after Yorkshire's water, today, tomorrow, 24/7, 365 days a year. We provide essential water and wastewater services to every corner of the Yorkshire region, and play a key role in the region's health, wellbeing, and prosperity.
New environmental legislation, unprecedented levels of investment and changing expectations from customers means that this is an exciting time to discover opportunities within the water industry. The Commercial and Markets Team are a key part of how we plan to meet the changing expectations of customers and regulators.
Working as part of the Markets Team, the successful candidate will develop and deliver renewable energy and commercial projects that support the core operations of Yorkshire Water and Kelda Group. On all projects you will work collaboratively with internal and external team members to ensure successful delivery. It's an exciting time to be joining our team as we look to deliver on ambitious energy generation and carbon targets.
Renewable Energy projects
Yorkshire Water has an active and growing portfolio of renewable projects, including solar, hydro, wind, biogas and heat recovery. Currently 18% of energy is self-generated, but the goal is to meet our ambitious self-generation targets by 2028 and our 2030 Net Zero targets.
The successful candidate will develop and shape renewable projects from conception, through procurement and ultimately hand over to delivery teams. This will involve the production of early-stage feasibility papers, including financial and technical analysis, and subsequently business cases to inform investment decisions. The variety, number and size of projects is growing rapidly to meet our ambitions so it's an exciting time to be joining the team.
In addition to the renewable energy projects the team supports other business areas in commercial activities. These can vary significantly, for example supporting early-stage innovation projects or helping realise more value from wastes generated from our treatment processes. The successful candidate will support colleagues in these areas, assisted by other team members.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced and driven environment and is passionate about making a difference.
Where you fit in:
As our Renewables and Commercial Projects Manager you will
- Develop and shape renewable energy projects through all stages from initial feasibility studies and business cases, to approval and into delivery;
- Identify commercial opportunities which can benefit Yorkshire Water and the Kelda Group, developing business cases containing sound research and analysis into the application of new technologies and commercial models.
- Work with colleagues across the business to understand the challenges they face and identify opportunities for intervention.
- Establish and maintain good collaboration by creating an environment of trusted relationships with all key stakeholders (internally & externally);
- Ensure that the project and programme outputs are achieved as agreed, all within time, budget, and quality standards; and
- Prepare and manage project documentation, including progress management and performance reports.
What skills & qualifications you will need:
- You will need to be an experienced project manager with a strong interest or background in renewable energy technologies, primarily solar and wind;
- You'll need the ability to prioritise and execute tasks in a dynamic, changing environment, making sound decisions.
- You will need to have good commercial and contract awareness with experience of working with internal experts and professional advisors to develop contractual and commercial positions.
- You will need to be able to review and interpret technical and feasibility reports.
- Experience in interpreting and using financial models.
- You'll need to be able to and work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment whilst having the ability to work on your own initiative and self-manage.
You will also benefit from having:
- A background in electrical, mechanical or civil engineering projects would be an advantage.
- An understanding of the water and wastewater sector and the treatment process used.
- Experience of working in regulated industries.
- Experience of applying different delivery models based on business needs.
We embrace a flexible working model, where our hybrid setup typically requires an average of 2 days in the office per week. This could be slightly more when collaborative efforts, training or meeting deadlines demand it. For those who prefer to work on-site, our office is open Monday-Friday during working hours.
If you're an experienced Renewables and Commercial Projects professional and want to help us deliver exceptional service for our customers whilst protecting the environment, then apply today to find out what a career with Yorkshire Water can offer for you.
We are proud to serve the Yorkshire region and are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment that is reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds to apply.
If successful for the role, you will be required to undergo pre-employment checks that will include a Basic Disclosure Check, carried out through a Third Party Company, prior to commencing employment. Depending on the role, you may also be required to go through the security vetting process for either a Counter Terrorist Check or Security Check clearance.
Kelda Group reserve the right to close this position before the published closing date, should the need occur. We therefore advise that you complete and submit your application as soon as possible.