The Museum of Military Medicine is currently recruiting for a Retail and Customer Services Assistant to join the team based at Keogh Barracks, Ash Vale. The successful applicant will be working in a customer-focused retail environment, serving visitors within the museum shop and fulfilling online retail orders.
A high level of personal service will be central to everything you do, including front of house hosting, taking telephone orders, processing, packing and mailing out orders, updating the shop website, entering daily sales sheets, entering takings into bank paying-in book, and dealing with general sales and office enquiries. In addition, you will develop the museum brand through an excellent customer experience, working closely with customers and stakeholders.
To be considered for this position you must:
• Have excellent verbal and written communication abilities• Be organised • Be proficient on Microsoft applications • Have an ability to understand and record sales figures • Hold a current full driving licence • Have a sound business sense.
It would be advantageous to have had previous retail experience or experience of working in a military environment.
Job purpose: To act as the Retail and Customer Services Assistant by serving customers and visitors within the museum shop.
Daily tasks include: Front of house hosting, taking telephone orders, packing and mailing out orders, updating the shop website, entering daily sales sheets, entering takings into bank paying in book, and dealing with general sales and office enquiries.
We are looking for someone who is motivated, enthusiastic, and has a willingness to learn new skills. You must have retail and or customer services experience.
Main responsibilities and duties:
1. Responsible to the Director for efficient running of the museum’s retail outlet
2. Providing excellent customer service and information to visitors, either in person or through one of our access channels by email, through our website, on the telephone or via social media
3. Monitor finances and implement policies and procedures such as raising and processing orders, stock control, processing invoices, reconciling income, cashing up, and monitoring of sales
4. Design and source new products in line with customer trends, ensuring competitive prices and arranging special promotional offers, as required under the direction of the Museum Director.
5. Serve customers within shop and online, ensuring orders are sent out promptly
6. Assisting the museum team during group visits and events both at the museum and offsite
7. Ensure good Health and Safety practice and compliance with relevant risk assessments within working areas
8. Pricing audits
9. Update the Director on business performance and new initiatives
10. Address and resolve customer complaints in a professional and courteous manner
11. Shop floor maintenance.
Required knowledge and skills:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
2. Ability and willingness to work flexibly, out of normal office hours, on their own initiative and off site, if required
3. Hold a current full driving licence
4. Ability to understand and record sales figures
5. An understanding of Retail Laws, Security, and Health and Safety
6. Sound business sense
7. Good I.T. skills with previous knowledge of Excel spread sheets and Microsoft Word
8. Multi task and work under pressure
9. Plan and prioritise work load.
1. Have previous retail experience
2. Experience of working in a military environment
Additional Work Elements:
1. Some weekend working may be occasionally required
2. Some lifting and carrying of objects, display equipment, loan boxes
3. Some work in a cold environment
4. Due to our location, your own transport would be advantageous.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you are suitable for this role to: Jason Semmens, M.A., Director, The Museum of Military Medicine, Keogh Barracks, Ash Vale, Aldershot, Hants. GU12 5RQ. Or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Tuesday 15 June 2021 Interviews: Planned for week commencing 28 June 2021
This job description provides an outline of the duties and responsibilities of the role and the necessary skills and knowledge required to perform them as at the date it was created. Employees will be recruited on the basis of their qualifications and experience to do the work to be performed, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, nationality, religion or belief, political opinion (Northern Ireland only), age, pregnancy and maternity, disability or trade union membership status. We welcome applications from BAME communities. By applying for this role, the candidate accepts that over time this job description may be subject to change as the candidate's duties and job evolves.