Job Title: Safety Engineer (SF39641)
Compensation: £37,165 - £41,710 + pension (matched up to 8%) + 25 days holiday
Role Type: Permanent
Babcock provide Design, Integrated Logistic and Programme Support to the UK `new build' and `In-Service' submarine fleet across all classes of vessels. From system feasibility analyses of engineering problems and solutions, to fully incorporated design changes, Babcock support the entire submarine product lifecycle. This is your opportunity to make a real impact in support of the operational capability of the nation's nuclear submarine fleet and the continuous nuclear deterrent by joining our Submarine Support Engineering group and lead on the delivery of Safety engineering tasks. The Safety Services Group comprise a diverse range of skillsets, backgrounds and experience who are looking to appoint a Safety Engineer.
Who we are looking for?
To support growth aspirations we are looking for a Safety Engineer that can implement their professional knowledge of safety / risk management techniques, project manage safety tasks and deliver safety and environmental contractual outputs.
We are looking for engineers that want to play a part in supporting the UK Defence submarine programme, develop their professional skillset by working with a highly disciplined dynamic team and who won't be phased by changing priorities as we move forward into the future.
What will you be doing?
As a Safety Engineer, you'll play a vital role in the production of key safety outputs, project manage tasks of moderate level complexity and demonstrate your knowledge of safety / risk management techniques in the following key areas:
- Management of Safety legislation, such as Defence Safety Authority (DSA) Regulations;
- Hazard Management and Hazard Identification and Analysis (HIA) techniques (HAZID, HAZOP, Bowtie, SWIFT);
- Support to Submarine Safety Case management (CAE, GSN);
- Authoring of technical documentation;
- Working as part of a team and collaborating with multiple Babcock stakeholders; and
- Developing new safety innovations to support submarine availability and risk management.
The experience you'll bring
You will have experience of the application Safety and Environmental Management principles across the maritime domain, preferably with a working knowledge of submarine operating principles with the following technical skills & experience:
- HND or Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline;
- Self-motivated and possess excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrable record of presenting professional outputs both verbally and in writing;
- IEng accredited with the Engineering Council or actively progressing application;
- Project Management experience is desirable;
- Safety and Environmental Management Training (SEMT) (or equivalent) is considered an advantage.
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
- 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
- Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
- Employee Share plan
- Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 2 weeks special paid leave
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.