Senior CAD Technician/BIM Consultant
London, Elephant & Castle
Circa £53,434+ London Allowance (Depending on Skills and Experience)
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Car allowance
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks Services will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks Services develops, delivers and manages safe, sustainable and profitable high voltage electrical and multi-utility networks for owners of major infrastructure. UKPN Services work with a range of high profile clients such as Heathrow Airport Limited, Stansted Airport Limited, GIP (London Gatwick Airport), High Speed 1, Network Rail, London Underground, Ministry of Defence, Docklands Light Railway, and Canary Wharf and delivers major electricity infrastructure projects.
Working within our dedicated team of engineers and analysts, you will help UK Power Networks Services provide BIM (Building Information Modelling) and Computer Aided Design solutions that are aimed at supporting our project and client’s requirements. You will be expected to work as part of a diverse team, supporting 2D and 3D design activities to place UK Power Networks Services as a leader in private power and energy infrastructure.
You will develop and ensure that design drawings, standards and processes for 2D, 3D and BIM are managed, in place within the business, and applied consistently.
You will prioritise workload amongst the team and lead on the production of design information through team resourcing and control. They must have a detailed understanding of BIM and Computer Aided Design delivery processes and ensure compliance with BIM level 2 standards and working principles. You will also champion and ensure the implementation and application of a Common Data Environment (CDE) for project collaboration purposes.
Payroll Costs: £150k
Staff reports: 3
The BIM and Computer Aided Design function develops BIM and Computer Aided Design standards, project design drawings (2D and 3D), BIM modelling, clash detection and maintenance of a common data environment in UK Power Networks Services.
You will need to build collaborative relationships with teams across UK Power Networks Services and its contractors. The role therefore requires interpersonal skills and communication at all levels of the organisation.
- Leadership and development of a small team of BIM and Computer Aided Design professionals, providing technical support and performance management.
- Lead the production of 2D (surface modelling) and 3D (solid modelling) design drawings using the latest Computer Aided Design packages from Bentley and AutoDesk;
- Introduction and application of the AutoDesk Revit software across the business;
- Lead the production of 3D Models and presentations of infrastructure promoting 'virtual tours' to identify clash detection both pre and post construction; with support from relevant staff.
- Lead the development of the modelling/digital capability across the business;
- Maintain company and client Computer Aided Design and modelling standards;
- Ensure business wide compliance with BIM standards and 2D/3D Computer Aided Design standards in consideration of BIM level 2 – including ISO 19650 Parts 1 and 2;
- Collaborate with the other in-house and external disciplines on design;
- Ensure outgoing data, models and documents including 3D Computer Aided Design models, 3D files including interactive presentations are correct and verified and that all work maintains a high standard of quality and accuracy to deadlines set within project programmes;
- Support pre and post tender activities in business development;
- Able to work individually and have the ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Produce design 3D models and drawings as part of the designs being constructed in a safe efficient manner;
- Compliance with design assurance and audit processes;
- Support and mentor other members of the team to enhance their technical knowledge;
- Manage own workload and workload of others to ensure deliverables are completed on time; and to quality standards.
- Develop asset and cost schedules within BIM models;
- Management and change control of drawings within the common data environment;
- Have a good safety culture and sound understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations 2015 and their application in this role.
- Demonstrate and promote UK Power Networks’ vision of becoming an employer of choice, a respected corporate citizen and to work in a sustainably cost efficient way.
- Demonstrate and promote UK Power Networks values; integrity, respect, continuous improvement, diversity and inclusiveness, responsibility and unity, enhancing employee engagement scores.
- Undertake other responsibilities appropriate to the level of seniority from time to time and at other work locations within the company.
- Deputising for the BIM and Computer Aided Design Manager when needed for management meetings and our meetings with UKPN, Clients and Contractors
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in engineering, science or other appropriate discipline or equivalent experience;
- Have achieved EngTech with Engineering Council or be committed to working toward this immediately upon successful appointment or equivalent experience;
- Experienced in the production of electrical, civil and mechanical design drawings including room and equipment layouts, single line diagrams, logic diagrams, schematics, wiring and cabling diagrams and associated drawings to a high standard;
- Experienced user of AutoDesk AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation and AECOsim modelling packages;
- Experience creating i-models, 3D Pdf files and shared platform formats for design review processes.
- Good knowledge of BIM (Building Information Modelling), associated processes, and in using Bentley ProjectWise as a Common Data Environment;
- Experienced in undertaking clash detection, solve model and spatial issues within 2D and 3D modelled environments.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Use design skills to propose and provide practical solutions to deadlines;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft desktop applications, in particular: Word, Excel (can perform complex functions) , Project and PowerPoint; and have understanding of BIM (Building Information Modelling) and its processes, including standards ISO 19650 parts 1 & 2 (BS1192-2007 and PAS1192-2-2013).
- Strong experience of leading a technical team
- Have good knowledge and use of ProjectWise V8i to help with the administration and management of a CDE system.
- Use 3D visualisation and utilisation of Point Clouds.
- Power industry experience
- Have an awareness of and ability to use the several mixed reality tools, VR, AR, MR. Hardware and software such as Enscape, Unity, Oculus and Vive.
- Have experience using cloud-based BIM issue management and coordination platform
- Gained knowledge of Bentley Products including AECOsim and Pointools packages.
- Experience delivering 4D programming and design review processes for BIM compliance and lead project design review meetings.
- BIM professional qualifications (RIBA, BRE, ICE etc.)
If you do not have the full range of essential qualifications listed above, there may be an opportunity for further training.
If you do not have all experience needed, then we can offer a lower salary grade until you have the right experience.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.