Senior Commercial Officer
Bristol, Plymouth or Ashchurch
About the Role
Working as part of our Defence Systems Technology (DST) business, we're looking for someone to make an impact to become our next Senior Commercial Officer.
Defence Systems Technology is a business unit within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. Working on a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST works with a number of key clients domestically and internationally. We're based at a number of sites in the UK and overseas.
The business continues to win new work and grow at a significant pace, as a result we are recruiting for a driven Senior Commercial Officer to work with us to build our business, and your career. Our customers are at the centre of all we do, so we are looking for people who can help us and our customers work together to accelerate their business.
The difference you will make
You will take a lead role in an integrated team which develops the strategy, pricing methods, and contractual terms and conditions required to win and deliver customer and business requirements. This will include the generation of agreements and risk management plans, whilst satisfying business governance requirements.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Commercial management of existing contracts, their associated risks and contract changes to ensure they are understood and administered
- Providing commercial support to bidding activities within the wider team and manage all commercial aspects through the lifecycle of bids and contracts
- Leading and supporting commercial discussions and negotiations with internal and external customers to deliver business results
- Taking a central role in, and assure, new business opportunities through the completion of commercial tendering and approval processes
- Assisting and assuring the Project Management function with respect to contract management including project control, variations, risk management, milestones and financial progress
- Supporting the Supply Chain function in the generation of commercial arrangements with partners and suppliers
- Understanding and interpreting legislation as it applies to the businesses contracts
- Ensuring an accurate audit trail of commercial decisions is maintained and commercial administration is kept up to date
- Supporting the development of commercial strategies
- Engaging and assisting with the responsibilities and development of graduates coming through
What do I need to do the role?
- You must be an experienced Commercial Officer/Senior Commercial Officer with experience in a similar role in the defence industry
- Knowledge of tendering, approvals, contract law, contract negotiation, contract cost control, variation control, claims & disputes and contracts of supply & sale
What else do I need to know?
- You should hold or have the ability to obtain full SC clearance
- Flexible working - we give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met
- Potential to travel internationally
- If based at our Ashchurch or Plymouth offices, you must be able to travel to Bristol as and when required
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.