Senior Commercial Officer
About the Role
Working as part of our Defence Systems Technology (DST) business we're looking for a Senior Commercial Officer to join us. DST forms a critical part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, our 1,500 strong team operate from a number of sites across the UK and internationally ensuring our global customer portfolio is always supported. Babcock DST is growing and we want you to be part of our dynamic commercial team, working within our New Design and Future Products business area.
As a Senior Commercial Officer, you will be embedded in one of DST's exciting new international projects. This also comes with the opportunity to play a critical role in winning and delivering future opportunities, ensuring the commercial and business interests of Babcock are optimised. You will work with a diverse and driven team of professionals dedicated to ensuring customer requirements are met, delivering and exceeding the business's objectives.
The role includes the commercial management of existing contracts, their associated risks and contract changes to ensure they are understood and administered. This role will also provide commercial support to the bidding activities within the wider team.
Key responsibilities will also include:
- Taking a lead role in developing the strategy, pricing methods, and contractual terms and conditions required to win and delivery customer and business requirements
- To lead and support commercial discussions and negotiations with internal and external customers to deliver business results.
- To lead the commercial, and support the project management and tendering teams and support the applicable approvals processes. Act as the local commercial point of contact for various internal and external stakeholders.
- To take a central role in, and assure, new business opportunities through the completion of commercial tendering and approval processes.
- To assist and assure the Project Management function with respect to contract management including project control, variations, risk management, milestones and financial progress.
- To support the Supply Chain function in the generation of commercial arrangements with partners and suppliers.
- To provide general management and contractual information, and assist with resource forecasts and castings, to ensure they are properly constructed and achieved. To ensure an accurate audit trail of commercial decisions is maintained and commercial administration is kept up to date.
- Understand and interpret legislation as it applies to the businesses contracts.
- Engage and assist with the responsibilities and development of graduates coming through the function.
What do I need to do the role?
You must be an experienced Commercial Officer with a background in negotiation, contract law and ideally knowledge in Intellectual Property.
- You will also ideally be degree qualified (or equivalent) in Law, Engineering, Business, Accountancy, or similar
- Experience in bid support, management of stakeholders, tendering and risk management are also important
- Ideally experience in the defence and engineering industry
What else do I need to know?
- You should hold or have the ability to obtain full SC clearance
- Flexible working - we give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met
- Potential to travel internationally
- Travel to our Bristol offices as and when required
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit out website.