Location: Slough, with flexible working options
Here at O2, we're about technology that creates new and exciting experiences. It's why there are over 25 million people who choose to live life on O2.
Being part of Telefonica, one of the world's most innovative digital companies, we're able to open up all sorts of possibilities - not just for customers, but for the people who work for us, too.
Great benefits. Generous rewards. High-quality training. Ongoing career development. Flexible working. These are just some of the reasons we attract great talent.
Our inclusive approach to recruitment helps us be a true reflection of our customers and their communities. That's why everybody's welcome at O2 - it's time to get everyone in the room.About the team
We are transforming our business by putting data driven insight at the heart of everything we do.
The Data Science Team, sitting in the Analytics team in our Data, Insights & Analytics function, creates new capabilities to make faster and better decisions and finds actionable opportunities within our wealth of data, particularly building out our AI and Machine Learning capabilities working in collaboration with other areas of the business.
We have c.20m customers and a wealth of structured and unstructured data including (but not limited to):
- Transactions and billing,
- Detailed customer call records (millions per day)
- Usage of our loyalty programme (million per month)
- Geographical data (millions of points per day)
- Profitability of each customer
- Network usage
You will have the opportunity of joining a growing team working on some challenging and fascinating problems in a data rich environment.
The Data Science Team is an important part of our newly defined Data & Analytics Strategy, driving data to the core of O2 to ensure right time insights to empower our leaders and our business to make better and quicker decisions.About the role
The Senior Data Scientist (PCGU) is one of the senior members of the team, responsible for enabling the improvement of decision taking across the organisation, working alongside our Accelerate O2 business transformation programme which aims to radically transform our customers' experience and make it simpler for our people to collaborate and do their job.
Enthusiastic and energised about data, working as part of a team you will extract particularly powerful empirical insights from internal and external datasets, creating opportunities or new capabilities that deliver growth or cost reduction. You may be required to present these findings to stakeholders and help engineers implement industrially robust ways to integrate the work into a production environment for the benefit of internal users and our external customers.
You will maintain good relationships will stakeholders from around the business, and seek out new ideas, keeping up to date with data science advancements in the marketplaceKey responsibilities
- Working with stakeholders and within the Data Science team, create capabilities / models and capitalise on opportunities through the exploitation of internal and external data using advanced techniques such as Machine Learning with support from senior members of the team
- Work closely with IT and our Accelerate O2 programme to leverage requirements for data, access and toolsets, and ensuring Data Science Algorithms/Models are embedded into industrial strength solutions that can be used by hundreds of users, and external customers
- Build knowledge of our Group (Telefonica in Spain) capabilities and exploitation thereof. Collaborating as required with equivalent data scientists in Group to build next generation models to power Aura in the UK, our artificial intelligence system, and further exploit our Group built analytics capability called 4th Platform which enables a common set of technical capabilities and data frameworks in every country.
- Build a deep understanding of the business issues to be solved and frame the 'right' questions to be addressed.
- Carry out analyses and drive clear recommendations and action plans and measure outcomes. Present plans and outcomes to senior management to ensure buy-in and on-going support
- Coaching junior data scientists in the team as the function and accountabilities grow
- Maintain and "outside-in" view of big data and data science to ensure we are benefiting from new and cutting edge advancements
- Passionate about data science and analytics and the value that can be created through information exploitation
- Technically brilliant, using some or all of Hadoop / Python / SAS and willing to learn others
- Some practical experience with various machine learning and other pattern recognition techniques e.g. NLP is desirable
- A track record in being able to spot opportunities and drive them though to delivery
- Ability to work simultaneously across a number of analytical projects, managing your own time and projects to deliver results
- An ability to talk to people at all levels of the business and make the complex, simple
- Some knowledge of Visualisation methods / tools e.g. Tableau, Microstrategy
- Coaching experience is desirable
PCGUWe'll be sending you emails about the status of your application. To make sure you receive these, please add @O2.com and @telefonica.com to your Safe Senders list.
We're looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care and lots of flexible benefits.
We also believe a great work-life balance is important, so we're open to considering part-time and flexible approaches to working. Like to know more, feel free to raise it.
Join us and we'll encourage you to be bold every day. So take a deep breath, your career is about to go to exciting new places.
If you have any questions around the role then please email ResourceTUK@o2.com who will be happy to help.