Senior DevOps Engineer Tesco Mobile Slough Who Are We?
Tesco Mobile is an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) and joint venture between O2 and Tesco. We launched Tesco Mobile in 2003 and we've grown rapidly to become the UK's largest MVNO with 99% network coverage in the UK. Better still, we're award winning. Our customer care was recognised in 2016, we won "Best Value Pay Monthly", "Best PAYG Network" and "High Street Retailer of the year" at the uSwitch Awards. We're all about the customer and their experience with our brand. So, if you are passionate about the customer, we could have some exciting opportunities for you.About The Team
The Tesco Mobile DevOps team is a truly cross functional team responsible for both the product development as well as the running and operations of multiple bespoke IT solutions.About The Role
As a Senior DevOps Engineer in the DevOps team, you'll be responsible for supporting a 24x7 production environment, resolving incidents and problems. You will work with the wider DevOps team and IT Service Management teams to ensure new features are released into production safely. You will be part of a team of Business Analysts, Testers and developers working on different technologies to support the business projects.
We work using SCRUM and Kanban Agile methodologies to maintain and create new software.Key Responsibilities
Key Skills & Experience
- Automate repetitive tasks, developing innovative solutions for the team and wider business e.g. bots and cronjobs
- Hands on Investigation of incidents and problems, using logs from supported platform as well as liaison with third parties and internal teams
- Manage the 24/7 on-call rota. Successful candidate will also be expected to be on rota as required.
- Engage with business analysts, developers and testers to ensure hotfixes are safely released into production, this covers new functionality as well as security patching
- Support the development of new products, tranisitioning them into live production use.
- Maintain and evolve DevOps monitoring and alerting capabilities - includes infrastructure performance as well as key business indicators e.g. sales
- Support and evolve the monitoring and operational tools to better run and operate our Tesco Mobile DevOps solutions
- Coordinate and manage software releases in to Pe-Production & Production environments. Includes support for out of hours production deployments
- Line management - Provide guidance and leadership to direct reports
- Experience supporting a 24x7 production environment
- Effective communication skills with an ability to collaborate and work as a team player
- Ability to understand complex systems and issues and communicate these to both technical and non-technical people.
- Good understanding of Agile Development practices
- Expertise with GIT/Github Tools, preferably experience managing a hosted github environment
- Expertise maintaining and developing production Linux (5 years minimum) systems [Debian]
- Expertise of Postgresql and Mysql
- Expertise on Issue management and ticketing systems
- Expertise in IT Service Management principles
- Proficient in at least 3 of the following scripting languages and programming languages; PHP, Python, Java, GoLang, SQL, HTML
- Hands-on Kubernetes management experience including kubectl, kcon and YAML creation.
- Expertise in the maintenance and use of ELK stack
- Knowledge of basic TCP/IP protocols (TCP, UDP, IP, DNS, HTTP)
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies highly regarded for its community model.
In return for your outstanding efforts, you'll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We believe that hard work should be supported and recognised. This position plays an important role across the business, allowing you to work cross functionality, take on more responsibility and gain experience, which will greatly benefit you in the future.