Senior Electro-optical Materials Scientist
Farnborough, GU14 0LX
QinetiQ have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electro-optical Materials Scientist to support the growing Applied Sciences team in developing novel technologies and conduct research and experimentation into the areas of electro-optical and infrared control.
The successful applicant will be part of the Advanced Services & Products business unit which is made up of a dynamic team in a multidisciplinary research environment comprising of Engineers, Physicists, Vision Scientists and Chemists. You will provide high-level scientific expertise (both theoretical and practical) and make increasing contributions to the strategic direction of this exciting team and be responsible for the design, execution and delivery of complex and innovative research programmes in the area of EO/IR materials, measurements and devices.
- Lead technical tasks relating to optical and infrared materials research & development;
- Produce device prototypes to demonstrate effects to customers;
- Formulate and produce materials with defined optical properties;
- Contribute ideas and concepts for internal and external investment and business growth;
- Conduct numerical modelling studies to complement the design process;
- Manage facilities and laboratories containing unique and high value equipment;
- Prepare, design and participate in the setup of experiments and large-scale trials;
- Contribute to capability growth, including mentoring, training and guiding others;
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Degree or post-graduate qualification in Physics, Chemistry or Engineering with experience of optical and infrared materials;
- Experience of materials, e.g. metamaterials, plasmonic materials, photonic band gap structures, paints, coatings, thick and thin film synthesis methods and their development and formulation;
- Good understanding of the interaction between electromagnetic radiation and materials;
- Proficiency in using standard optical test equipment including:
- Experience of numerical modelling methods and applications;
- Experience of writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication;
- Experience of a research and development environment;
- HS&E knowledge and experience working in chemistry/materials development laboratories;
- Willing to travel to other QinetiQ/customer sites where required (expected up to 10% travel time)
- British National, able and willing to attain MOD SC level clearance.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.