Base Location: Forbury Reading
Salary: £32,700 - £49,100 depending on experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
What is the Role?
As a Senior Engineer in Electrical design, you'll work within an exciting, challenging and growing area of the SSE Enterprise business, supporting and undertaking the development of design for Electrical Distribution projects for a variety of customers, in compliance with the relevant legislation and design standards. You will play a crucial role in delivering high quality design standards and supporting the emerging Distributed Energy market, and in doing so, driving business growth.
We will support your personal development as you work to develop innovative engineering solutions to successfully optimise scope, cost, programme and risk for projects, taking into account health, safety, and the environment throughout.
What do I need?
* A basic understanding of the energy industry
* A good understanding of the structure of the SSE Group, SSE Enterprise business, our customers, and our role within the industry.
* A basic understanding of UK energy regulation.
* A strong understanding of the UK Electricity distribution structure and regulations
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
* Qualified Electrical Engineer - to HNC, degree or equivalent certification level
* Ideally Chartered/Incorporated Engineer
* Background in Electrical Design, with a broad technical knowledge and 5 years minimum experience in a similar role
* Track record in delivering design engineering, ideally through the RIBA Stages requirements
* Knowledge and experience with engineering legislation and industry good practice
* Competent to operate within the NERS design submission and approval process
* Experience of working in a design and development environment within the energy industry is ideal for this role
* Experience in working with engineering standards and specifications is preferable
Personal Attributes / Competencies
You will be a highly motivated and self-starting individual, with very effective written and spoken communication skills, confident in making presentations to others. You will have a flexible, adaptable approach and a strong ability to work with others.
You will be an exceptional team player, able to work independently, and resourceful in ensuring delivery against agreed deadlines for a wide range of activities. You will have strong planning skills, and ability to manage your time and prioritise effectively. You'll also be driven to develop yourself and others.
It is preferable for this role that you have a full, current driving licence.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require submitting your application please get in touch with We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
This vacancy is open to both internal and external candidates. The successful candidate may be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process if their vetting level changes. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.