We’re looking for an excellent Senior Engineer - National
Would you like to join a rapidly growing business and the UK’s leading warranty and insurance provider for newly-built homes? Did you also know we’re the largest Approved Inspector for Building Control in England and Wales?
We’ve been setting the standards in new home construction for more than 80 years and we now need to expand our team with people who share our unstinting passion for high standards. As a Senior Engineer, you’ll be at the very heart of our core purpose to build confidence in construction quality for the benefit of the industry and new home buyers.
If you love the challenge of a hugely varied role, have substantial building/construction experience and a great understanding of the new housing sector, then you could be the perfect fit to join our Technical Operations team as a Senior Engineer.
Your day-to-day role
You’ll be an important part of a multi-disciplinary team of professional engineers and surveyors with responsibility for assessing Building Control and warranty applications on a wide variety of residential and mixed-use schemes. You’ll also work with developers, architects and builders to provide site support, undertake forensic investigations, liaise with customers and much more.
This is a home-based role and you can look forward to real flexibility and an excellent work/life balance. You will be expected to travel to client sites and, from time to time to our offices, including our head office in Milton Keynes.
Key elements of the Senior Engineer role are to
- Provide technical advice and support on the assessment of designs for compliance with Building Regulations and warranty standards, including resolving problems with engineering aspects of any submissions.
- Negotiate with developers, builders and their professional advisors to ensure proposals are satisfactory in relation to Building Control, warranty and land quality and comply with relevant regulations/NHBC Standards.
- Support inspection staff with the provision of expert advice, inspection of high risk/complex elements of building work and review of progress.
- Prepare technical reports for builders and/or professional advisors and check reports prepared by others.
- On live claims, undertake investigations, report on findings, prepare solutions for remedial work schemes, issue tender information, assess costs and undertake site inspections.
- Manage all aspects of assigned claims projects to ensure delivery of outputs is within specified timescales and budget.
- Represent NHBC on appropriate external bodies and at seminars or industry work groups.
The qualities and skills we’re looking for
We’re looking for a great, professional team player who has or is working towards chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution. You will also have substantial relevant experience working in building/construction and a great understanding of the new housing sector.
You will be:
- technically excellent
- in-depth relevant building/construction experience with substantial knowledge of the housing and commercial sectors
- able to communicate well both verbally and in writing with the ability to present information to a variety of stakeholders including homeowners with claims
- able to manage your own workload and ensure that SLA targets are always achieved
- excited by a varied and challenging role.
Your salary and benefits
Salary and bonus: Your salary will be in the range of £41,000 to £44,300 per year dependent on experience plus a remote worker allowance. Our annual bonus scheme rewards our strongest performers with the highest bonuses and, subject to the company’s performance and your own, you could earn up to 6% annual bonus.
Company car: We’ll provide you with a company car (subject to you doing a minimum of 4,000 business miles a year). We’re bringing on more electric cars to our fleet so you’ll pay less tax and we can continue improving our environmental impact.
Pension: Our pension contributions are generous and, depending on your own level of monthly contributions, we will contribute up to 10.5% of your pensionable salary each year.
Holiday: We offer 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays with the option to purchase an extra week per year.
Private health care: We will pay towards Aviva private medical insurance cover for you and your family worth £395 each year.
Maternity, paternity and adoption leave: We’ve equalised the leave we offer for all colleagues so, whatever your family set up, you can take the leave you need when you add to your family.
Your future with us
We offer exceptional personal development and clear career progression opportunities. If you’re ambitious, driven and hard-working you will succeed with us. We’ll support you with full training, ongoing CPD and the opportunity to gain recognised qualifications and professional memberships.
We encourage our colleagues to work flexibly in different ways to suit their personal circumstances. We can’t promise we can offer you exactly what you want, but we are always happy to talk flexible working at interview stage and beyond.
Diversity and inclusion
We are committed to equal opportunities for all with an inclusive culture that helps us to maintain competitive advantage. Our people come from diverse backgrounds and support our fundamental belief in the right of all employees and customers to be treated with dignity and respect and to be guaranteed freedom from discrimination. We are a signatory to the Armed Forces Covenant and the Women in Finance Charter.