Senior Environmental Trials Engineer
An exciting opportunity to join a high performing team of multi-disciplinary technicians and engineers delivering critical test & evaluation of defence munitions through the application of vibration, shock, climatic & radiography test programs.
As part of this team you will develop the necessary skills to simulate some of the most challenging environments in the world to ensure that the systems are ultimately safe and suitable for service at the Environmental Test Centre (ETC) in Shoeburyness.
ETC is an expanding area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility. The facility is accredited by UKAS against BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and consequently seeks to maintain and improve its technical competences. The company maintains accreditation against ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 and 50001. ETC is a growing area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility so presents an excellent opportunity for the right candidate.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience to conduct the environmental test program requirements against the customer specifications and UKAS quality manual;
- Leading trial set-ups and conduct of environmental test programs in accordance with the customer specifications & working procedures ensuring a compliance with all safety legislation associated with the activities;
- Documentation reviews, data processing and reporting as required in line with customer specifications and QinetiQ's standards, support the generation of recovery plans where required and attend customer progress meetings as required;
- Liaise with the planning office and other supporting functions demonstrating ownership to ensure delivery of test programs against contracted milestones;
- Lead tests including the direction of others associated with conducting environmental testing of test assets, and all supporting activities;
- Provide supervision and direction of other team members as required during day to day activities. This should include taking ownership of issues and driving for a resolution calling upon support from more senior members only when necessary;
- Proactively provide training and supervision to develop other team members within your agreed CTCs and identifying opportunities for training;
- Undertake further theoretical education and courses as required to develop your knowledge and experience.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Working knowledge of the environmental engineering Defence Standard, specifically 00-035.
- An understanding of Quality Assurance, external standards, and internal auditing;
- HNC/HND or Degree qualification in a relevant engineering or science subject;
- Ability to effectively communicate and lead with people at different levels, particularly team members;
- Proven track record in one or more areas of Environmental Testing;
- Detailed knowledge and experience of environmental engineering;
- IT Competence;
- Full UK driving license and access to a vehicle full time;
- Must hold or be eligible to attain UK SC Clearance.
We pride ourselves on hosting a safe, enjoyable workplace, where people are happy about coming to work. A successful candidate will need to display the following behavioural qualities:
- Drive and determination to achieve goals and progress your experience and knowledge;
- Be flexible and adaptable delivering additional volumes and working hours able to respond to the many and varied challenges faced by this role;
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels, working well within a team and individually;
- Results-focussed and enthusiastic about gaining additional levels of responsibility and accountability;
- Methodical and Logical approach, conscientious, safety conscious in all activities;
- Proactive and self-motivated.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact