Senior Environmental Trials Technician
Southend, SS3 9SR
An exciting opportunity to join a high performing team of multi-disciplinary technicians and engineers delivering critical test & evaluation of defence munitions through the application of vibration, shock, climatic & radiography test programs.
As part of this team you will develop the necessary skills to simulate some of the most challenging environments in the world to ensure that the systems are ultimately safe and suitable for service at the Environmental Test Centre (ETC) in Shoeburyness.
ETC is an expanding area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility. The facility is accredited by UKAS against BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and consequently seeks to maintain and improve its technical competences. The company maintains accreditation against ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 and 50001.
ETC is a growing area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility so presents an excellent opportunity for the right candidate.
- Support and at times lead the set-up and conduct of trials under the supervision of the suitably qualified Environmental Engineers in accordance with the customer specifications & working procedures ensuring compliance with all safety legislation associated with the activities;
- Demonstrate awareness as to how to stimulate test assets with vibration, shock, climatic and temperature profiles as well as the inspection and radiography of the equipment throughout the test regime with a deeper understanding in specific areas;
- Documentation reviews, data processing and reporting as required in line with customer specifications and QinetiQ's standards under the supervision of suitably qualified environmental engineers;
- Support the Environmental Engineers to liaise with planning office and other supporting functions, regularly reporting progress to the planning office;
- Ensure safe systems of work are adhered to at all times during environmental testing;
- Pro-actively support and contribute to QinetiQ safety culture and undertake assigned activities to maintain and uphold safety standards;
- Undertake interdepartmental movements of test items;
- Undertake further theoretical education and courses as required to develop your knowledge and experience;
- As a Senior Technician, you will have the opportunity to provide training and supervision to develop more junior team members within your agreed CTCs;
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Working knowledge of the Defence Standard, specifically 00-035;
- Knowledge of environmental engineering within the defence industry (highly desirable)
- Experience of handling hazardous materials (desirable)
- Knowledge of environmental engineering (desirable)
- Formal Apprenticeship or equivalent;
- IT competence;
- Full UK driving license and access to a vehicle full time;
- Must hold or be eligible to attain UK SC Clearance.
- Drive and determination to achieve goals and progress your experience and knowledge to develop your career;
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels, working well within a team and individually;
- Results-focussed and enthusiastic about gaining additional levels of responsibility and accountability;
- Methodical and Logical approach, conscientious, safety conscious in all activities.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact