We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
From complexity comes simplicity. From better thinking, better solutions.
Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
The South East Hub's Highway Structures Team provide structures management and design services primarily to Swindon Borough Council (SBC) and Hampshire County Council (HCC). The team also support other Amey teams working with Highways England, Network Rail, airports, other local authorities and private companies.
As a Senior Highway Structures Engineer you will have experience in a broad range of highway structure management and design tasks; including management and feasibility studies, detailed design, contract preparation and bridge inspections. You will utilise your experience of Eurocodes, DMRB and MCDHW and ideally also have knowledge of airport and railway design codes. As a Senior Highway Structures Engineer you will manage a number of projects each year using MS Project and bespoke spreadsheets and databases.
The team currently comprises 11 Technicians, Engineers, Senior Engineers and Principal Engineers. You will supervise and support junior team members and work in close collaboration with the principal engineers, but with minimal supervision. Amey has an established Career Development Programme in which you will be able to become a mentor and Delegated Engineer for Graduate and Assistant Engineers and Engineers with whom you work.
Being an experienced Senior Structures Civil Engineer at Amey Consulting, you'll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it's further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Provide expert technical advice to clients
- Lead on individual schemes and programmes of work, to include refurbishment of heritage structures, bridge replacement, strengthening and modification
- Undertake structural design/checking to Eurocodes associated with a diverse range of highway structures
- Undertake assessment/checking for load capacity
- Prepare project fee estimates using MS Projects and manage fees, resources and delivery of projects
- Prepare and review management studies, feasibility reports, inspections reports and similar documents
- Carry out highway structure Principal Inspections in accordance with DMRB procedures, including supervising inspection teams on site
- Prepare and review contract documents, including specifications, CDM documents and preconstruction information
- Support the Structures Manager and other team members to ensure compliance with all technical and safety standards
- Identify safe, efficient and practical structural maintenance and improvement solutions
- Produce Safe Systems of Work in line with the Amey Zero Safety Code
- Work with contract partners to deliver risk-based prioritised maintenance, upgrade and replacement schemes, safely, to cost and programme
- Work with other highway operational teams and 3rd parties to coordinate the efficient delivery of structures maintenance, whilst demonstrating least disruption to highway users.
- Carry out site visits and inspections to define maintenance requirements and undertake compliance checking
- Liaise with both internal and external customers/stakeholders to advise on any aspect of structural maintenance and management
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You are Chartered, held with an appropriate professional body - specifically CEng MICE or CEng MIStructE
- You are an accredited trainer with a relevant professional institution, e.g. Delegated Engineer for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Civil Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You are able to demonstrate and ability to manage, supervise and mentor junior engineers and technicians
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don't believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other's perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.