Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Flexible / Remote
Compensation: £45,089 - £50,618 + pension (up to 8% matched) + 25 days holiday
Role Type: Full time, permanent
Job ID: SF39084
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our Submarine Support Engineering (SSE) Mechanical Team. SSE provide mechanical engineering support for in-service and future submarines. The primary focus of the team is mechanical submarine systems and secondary submarine propulsion supporting both the ministry of defence and internal customers with opportunities to support on a wide range of projects across the enterprise.
Who we are looking for?
We are currently looking for a Senior Engineer to join the team to lead engineering projects that will include the planning and execution over a range of tasks that will encompass engineering investigations, undertaking analysis, managing design changes and will also use their skill to help develop junior staff on engineering projects as required by the Submarine Enterprise.
What will you be doing?
* Carry out the development and/or maturing of technical solutions, associated specifications and technical reports.
* Identify resource requirements and direct the services of other Senior Engineers, Engineers and Technical Assistants, as required, for the timely and successful execution of assigned tasks.
* Act as a focal point within the team for identification of issues, risks and the associated potential technical and design solutions for In-Service Submarines.
* Manage sub-contractors as required to deliver specific task output.
* Liaison with customers to develop work, understand issues and provide advice
* Coach and mentor junior members of the team
* Contribute to the assurance of technical information and documentation produced within the team
* Provide input and advice on resolution of technical issues and the direction of technical tasks.
* To provide technical support on mechanical design aspects to other Babcock Engineering Services projects and the wider Babcock Submarine Enterprise Teams
The experience you'll bring
* You will be minimum of degree qualification (ideally masters) in a relevant engineering discipline or have significant relevant domain engineering background.
* Previous submarine knowledge and experience working with submarine systems is highly desirable.
* Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status and be working towards Chartered
* Experience of managing subcontractors is desirable.
* Ex-Submarine Operator experience is highly desirable
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
* 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
* Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
* Employee Share plan
* Autonomy, trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
* If you do not have Chartered membership, Babcock Naval Nuclear will support this endeavour for suitable candidates.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.