Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Keynsham, Bristol, UK - Hybrid - working from home options available
Compensation: £46,589 - £52,118 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF 39084
Creating change together
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Senior Mechanical Engineer at our Keynsham site.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.
Babcock International and Devonport
The Senior Mechanical Engineer role is based at our Keynsham, Bristol site.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
The difference our new Senior Mechanical Engineer will make
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. You'll be part of a team, providing mechanical engineering support for in-service and future submarines; assisting contracts we have with the MoD.
Day to day, we are looking for you to lead engineering projects that will include the planning and execution over a range of tasks that will encompass engineering investigations, undertaking analysis, managing design changes and also, use your skill to help develop junior staff on engineering projects as required by the Submarine Enterprise.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role requires regular travel to Keynsham, Bristol; on a weekly basis alongside home working arrangements.#
* You will be minimum of degree qualification (ideally masters) in a relevant engineering discipline or have significant relevant domain engineering background.
* Previous submarine knowledge and experience working with submarine systems is highly desirable.
* Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status and be working towards Chartership.
* Experience of managing subcontractors is desirable.
* Ex-Submarine Operator experience is highly desirable.
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
* Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays
* Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Matched contribution pension scheme up to 5% of salary up to 8%, with life assurance
* Employee share scheme - save tax and national insurance on shares, with 1 free share per 10 purchased
* Employee shopping savings portal
* Employment development allowance - £125 per year
* Payment of Professional Fees
* Reward and Recognition Scheme linked to Health and Safety
* Working from home and flexible work patterns
* Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.