Senior Mechanical Engineer - Land Autonomy
We are seeking enthusiastic, dynamic and proven Engineers to work as a senior member in QinetiQ's rapidly growing Advanced Services and Products (AS&P) team. This opportunity requires the successful candidates to lead groups of Engineers on a range of interesting and forward-thinking projects requiring Mechanical Engineering input and analysis in emerging areas such as Land Autonomy using robotic vehicles and Hybrid Electric Drives (HED) for military vehicles and Land Camouflage.
The aim of our team is to solve mission critical problems for our growing customer base and to understand their evolving needs, the work will in depth knowledge and strong leadership of technical teams to solve complex engineering problems and deliver studies and technical demonstrations to the customer.
We are looking to speak with candidates who have knowledge and a proven track record in any of the following areas:
- Transmission / Gearboxes
- Electric Drives
- Hybrid power generation and transmission
- Traction Control
- Land Mobility
- Military & commercial tracked and wheeled vehicles
- Lead and participate in the delivery of projects, with a primary focus on mechanical engineering and analysis;
- Be accountable for the delivery of own work and that of junior members of the team as agreed with, or as part of, the Project Leadership to the required budgets, standards and specifications;
- Produce effective solutions with concise and valid recommendations;
- Ensure that a traceable record is maintained of work conducted;
- Understand and work within a range of requirements and British / ISO standards applicable to the mechanical system in development;
- Ability to represent QinetiQ in a professional manner to the customer;
- Comply fully with QinetiQ/project specific compliance Health, Safety, Security and Quality regimes and customer confidentiality requirements;
- Leading and conduct of mechanical and electro-mechanical design and analysis work to enable delivery of technical work that meet the customer's requirements;
- Generation and development of viable concepts and solutions that meet the customer's requirements;
- Maintain a level of general knowledge and look to develop areas of specific expertise.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- First Degree or higher Degree in a related discipline, e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering;
- 8+ Years expected experience in a relevant field;
- Experience leading engineering teams to achieve project aims;
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills to exchange complex information and developed communication and diplomacy skills used to direct / persuade / influence others;
- Ability to use CAD software (ideally Solid Works) to develop concepts communicate and explore ideas and to interrogate designs and obtain required information such as dimensions of features;
- Significant experience in automotive, electric drive vehicles, military vehicles and/or autonomous vehicles;
- Able to identify the approach and mathematics required to solve an engineering problem;
- Fluent user of Microsoft Applications (e.g. Excel, Access, Word).
- Willing to travel to other QinetiQ/customer sites where required (expected up to 5% travel time)
- Able to attain MOD SC level clearance
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.
QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. People around the world depend on us for their safety and security, and to enable the safety and security of others. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Our is a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines, and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, we get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Come and find out how you can play a role.