Senior/Principal Engineer - Anti-Submarine Systems
QinetiQ's Maritime and Air businesses provides its customers with a suite of services which include advice, testing, research, procurement, supply, preparation and sustainment of client platforms and systems for operational use, assuring safety, performance and through-life cost savings. We apply our in-depth domain knowledge, facilities and specialist expertise to produce trusted, practical, instrumented environments and action-oriented advice that enables clients to make informed procurement and operational decisions with authority and insight.
QinetiQ's anti-submarine team are renowned for their independent and specialist advice to frontline customers, providing operational support, advising on technology, analysing systems and proposing system improvements. We are currently looking for an experienced engineer to join the team, to lead and deliver technical activities, as well as provide advice that will directly impact defence operations. This is a hands-on role, in a vibrant team with growing demands both in the UK and internationally.
- Definition and delivery of technical projects through-life, working effectively with broader stakeholders and project management, leading a technical team to success from within;
- Provide direction and recommendations relating to technical risks and opportunities, owning actions, solutions and future work streams;
- Plan and structure own work, independently and as part of a team drawing in skills as necessary;
- Analyse and decompose complex issues, to appropriate level of details, in methodical manner and recombine to produce effective solution;
- Coordinate multi-stakeholder analysis into reports and presentations for delivery to customers and industry partners;
- Understand and apply relevant regulatory, safety and technical standards, integrating required compliance and governance activity into delivery work.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Knowledge of some of the following: - systems for electronic signal processing, data acquisition, analysis and display, RF communications, secure networks, data transmission and receive, test equipment development, LabView, WADER and HARCAM models, underwater acoustic propagation, Matlab, modelling and data analysis;
- Deep technical insight into several elements or products relating to anti-submarine sensors and systems;
- Track record of delivering models, system analysis, bespoke equipment, assurance or advice;
- Knowledge of the defence environment, stakeholders and operational context;
- Experience in product design certification or assurance activities;
- Knowledge of general engineering lifecycle and business process;
- British National, willing and able to attain MOD SC level clearance.
- Degree in a Maths, Physics, Oceanography, Electronics or relevant engineering discipline;
- Higher professional engineering qualification (e.g. CEng / MSc) or equivalent experience.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.