Job Title: Senior Submarine Structures Engineer
Location: Bristol, UK - Hybrid - working from home options available
Compensation: £46,589 - £52,118 (dependent on experience) + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF 43823
Be where you matter
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Senior Submarine Structures Engineer at Bristol.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation, and flexibility.
Babcock International and Submarine Support Engineering
The Senior Submarine Structures Engineer role is based within Submarine Support Engineering (SSE).
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
The SSE mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics.
The difference our new Senior Submarine Structures Engineer will make
As a Senior Submarine Structures Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. This role is highly rewarding with visible contributions to the defence capability of the UK, helping to keep the Royal Navy at sea and fighting fit.
Day to day, you will provide specialist advice and guidance on safety related and technical issues to maintain frontline operational capability within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
The key responsibilities of the roles may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Manage design intent for primary, secondary and minor submarine structure.
- Assessing and advising on structural design change, material state evidence, defects, contract requirements and management of hazards.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides hybrid working arrangements with 2/3 days in the office and 2/3 days working from home.
- Experience of submarine structures and be familiar with working within a multidiscipline team.
- Experience in finite element analysis software such as Ansys or Abaqus.
- Effective project management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment.
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for 'Security Check' (SC) or 'Developed Vetting' (DV) security clearance.
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 5% of salary up to 8%, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme - save tax and national insurance on shares, with 1 free share per 10 purchased
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Employment development allowance - £125 per year
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
- Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
- Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.