Senior Systems Engineer - Business Development
Permanent, Bristol or Malvern
QinetiQ's System Engineering discipline is growing at a rapid pace. We are looking to strengthen our capability and we need to appoint a Senior Systems Engineer who will assist in business winning as well as project delivery.
The role will involve assisting the bid manager and working with technical teams across QinetiQ and partner companies to develop and present well crafted solutions and produce the required system engineering documentation for bid submission. This will encompass working within a dedicated team and providing the necessary direction in order to outline a technical solution for the bid. The individual will work with the delivery teams in ensuring business winning strategies are successful and they will liaise with our QinetiQ Solution Architects to ensure the proposed technical solutions are in line with customer priorities and needs as well as our QinetiQ global campaigns.
This is an exciting opportunity where you will be at the centre of QinetiQ's expanding System Engineering Discipline, working with highly experienced and qualified engineers to develop innovative solutions for our customers.
To provide strategic leadership and co-ordination across delivery teams, to assist in business development and ensure all opportunities are responded to, to the best of our ability. Key priorities will include: providing direction across specific opportunities and working with Solution Architects to ensure the bid team aligns their proposal and responses with the over-arching campaign strategy.
A key emphasis of this role is on leading and supporting bids, production of appropriate system engineering documents and outlining a technical solution with an estimation of the appropriate level of effort and any associated risks. This will involve gaining a good understanding of the business and forming strong relationships with key functions such as Business Winning, Project, Finance and Commercial. Key pre-requisites are having the ability to co-ordinate development of a clear strategy and vision, then leading and directing the submission towards its execution.
- Proposition Development: Forming a virtual network within QinetiQ and our partners, working with them to develop the solution and service propositions to take to customers.
- Solution Development: Understanding, eliciting, analysing and responding to specific customer needs, drawing together compelling and well-crafted solutions.
- Strategy: Understand and align with the technical/capability/solution strategy across the QinetiQ campaigns.
- Strategic Relationships: Build and retain strong relationships with customers, partners, suppliers and colleagues across all levels, both business and technical.
- Leadership: Lead a team of technical SME's and engineers from across the company and manage customer engagement.
- Customer Engagement: Engages at senior level acting as the key interface in understanding and shaping Customer requirements and priorities, then applying QinetiQ capabilities to fulfil them.
- Business Development: Oversees design of solutions, which drive development of business with new types of solutions and with new customers.
- Thought Leadership: Leads on development of white papers and other thought leadership material, presenting papers to senior audiences and conferences.
- Technical Assurance: Ensures that all deliverables (which includes bids) meet appropriate technical standards, comply with statutory, regulatory, company and project specific processes and procedures, as appropriate.
Experience & Qualifications
- Has proven experience in business development and leading bids at a senior level, influencing and delivering technical propositions to customers.
- Depth of skills and experience across a defence environment within maritime, land, air and cyber; able to apply this in the design and delivery of solutions involving multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong commercial awareness with good knowledge of how propositions contribute to the business. Knowledge and experience of supply chain management.
- Experienced in selling propositions, including producing high quality bid response material and proposals, as well as leading workshops and presenting to all levels of the customer as required.
- Leadership of diverse technical teams, providing clear direction to ensure alignment and effective collaboration.
- Able to identify and articulate the unique selling points of QinetiQ propositions alongside a clear value proposition, ensuring they are differentiated from those of competitors.
- Ability to "get stuff done": work through blockers, help the team work through issues and ensure that support is directed to the people who need it (i.e. be able to quickly understand issues and identify the high risk areas and work to mitigate).
- Evidence of building repeatable customer solutions/services that deliver profitable growth.