NATS is the UK's leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer (known in NATS as a Technical Designer - Senior) who will be responsible for leading and supporting the design function within the voice communication systems (Radio and Telephony) and the associated design of technical services for NATS, that is affordable and delivers in line with the agreed service transformation strategy.
- Technical Design with the communication section with safety critical elements within the Service Design organisation to both its Programme and Service Operations customers and stakeholders.
- Leading the creation, review, and maintenance of the Service Design process for operational methods, procedures, facilities, and tools. To ensure they meet the strategic requirements of the business.
- Responsible for Technical Design for the service supporting the service designer in meeting their accountabilities for their Service Design components.
- Review and approve High Level and Low-Level Technical Designs. Approve "exceptions" identified in Low Level Designs for underpinning capabilities and prepare submissions to the relevant design governance mechanisms.
- Impact assess Operational Change Requests to ensure changes are within the Design Envelope and escalate if necessary.
- Provide Technology Design representation across the service and wider with a knowledge of each of the systems and assets that make up the system/thread.
Essential skills and experience:
- Degree in an Engineering or IT related subject or equivalent knowledge acquired through working in a safety critical environment.
- Applicants not holding the above qualifications but who have undertaken structured Engineering training (recognised by a professional body) and have extensive engineering experience will be considered.
- Experience in a Service Design Organisation delivering and developing technologies for safety critical Services to meet operational commitments & requirements.
- Is comfortable operating under circumstances where there is a high degree of uncertainty, particularly early in the service lifecycle.
- Experienced with Voice Communication Systems with knowledge of some of the following fields:
- Radio communications
- A good understanding of RF principles
- Telephony systems
- Recording systems
- Implementation of Voice over IP technologies
- Legacy TDM based systems
- Must be willing to travel due test system being in Whiteley.
We are proud to offer a fantastic total reward package to help you thrive both personally and professionally. In addition to a competitive salary that's regularly reviewed, you'll also benefit from a wide range of other benefits which includes generous leave entitlement, a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme, a range of voluntary benefits and retail discounts, wellness support and a comprehensive learning and development offering.
We have adopted agile working to provide greater flexibility and increased choice over working arrangements, with the opportunity for this role to work in our modern office facilities as well as remotely. We also welcome discussions on flexible and part-time working arrangements. Find out more here.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe - we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.