Senior Technical Advisor: Visual Performance and Assessment
Farnborough, GU14 0LX
A rare opportunity has arisen for a Senior Technical Advisor in the fields of human visual performance, photometry and lasers to join our leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation based at our headquarters in Hampshire within our camouflage and stealth department.
You will be a part of QinetiQ's Electro-optic Sciences team within Applied Sciences with active involvement in developing bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ's business.
- Lead technical tasks in human vision, both experimental and basic computational modelling, as applied to camouflage problems;
- Develop the team's capability in photometry, laser and other sources of optical radiation their effects upon vision including those that impact eye safety;
- Write ethics protocols for studies involving human participants;
- Contribute to capability growth, including mentoring, training and guiding others;
- Provide advice and consultancy for internal and external programmes and bids;
- Manage facilities and laboratories containing unique and high value equipment;
- Contribute ideas and concepts for internal investment and business growth;
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines;
- Offer technology and advice support in the areas of human vision, photometry and laser safety.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Recognised SME in laser effects upon vision, or laser metrology, or laser eye protection;
- Extensive experience (at least 10 years) working with both MoD and industrial vision science or laser safety experts;
- Good understanding of laser effects upon the human body (eyes, skin, consequences of over-exposure for health), and /or track record in human vision science;
- Detailed knowledge of laser and optical radiation safety standards e.g. BS EN 60825-1 and related standards;
- Knowledge of radiometry and photometry, both fundamental measurement concepts and practical aspects;
- Extensive experience of research programmes involving vision trials;
- Experience of laboratory management;
- Skilled in writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication;
- Tangible record of technically leading tasks or teams;
- Preferably qualified to PhD level, or at least 10 years' experience in experimental visual science;
- British National, willing and able to attain MOD SC level clearance
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.