Senior Technical Advisor: Visual Performance and Assessment
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Technical Advisor in the fields of human visual performance, photometry and lasers to join our leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation based at our headquarters in Hampshire within our camouflage and stealth department.
You will be a part of QinetiQ's Applied Sciences team with active involvement in developing bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ's business.
- Lead technical tasks in human vision, both experimental and basic computational modelling, as applied to camouflage problems;
- Develop the team's capability in photometry, laser and other sources of optical radiation their effects upon vision including those that impact eye safety;
- Write ethics protocols for studies involving human participants;
- Contribute to capability growth, including mentoring, training and guiding others;
- Provide advice and consultancy for internal and external programmes and bids;
- Manage facilities and laboratories containing unique and high value equipment;
- Contribute ideas and concepts for internal investment and business growth;
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines.;
- Offer technology and advice support in the areas of human vision, photometry and laser safety
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Recognised SME in laser effects upon vision, or laser metrology, or laser eye protection;
- Extensive experience (at least 10 years) working with both MoD and industrial vision science or laser safety experts;
- Good understanding of laser effects upon the human body (eyes, skin, consequences of over-exposure for health), and /or track record in human vision science;
- Detailed knowledge of laser and optical radiation safety standards e.g. BS EN 60825-1 and related standards;
- Knowledge of radiometry and photometry, both fundamental measurement concepts and practical aspects;
- Extensive experience of research programmes involving vision trials;
- Experience of laboratory management;
- Skilled in writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication;
- An appropriate degree e.g. Physics, Life Sciences, Psychology, Engineering (not exhaustive)
- Postgraduate qualification, preferably PhD, or at least 10 years' experience in experimental visual science;
- Willing to travel to other UK sites where required (expected up to 10% travel time)
- British National, able to attain MOD SC level clearance
QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. People around the world depend on us for their safety and security, and to enable the safety and security of others. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Our is a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines, and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, we get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Come and find out how you can play a role.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.