Serco Communications & Information Support - Airfield Support Team (AST)
RAF Brize Norton, Carterton, Oxfordshire - OX18 3LX
Full Time- Working Regime: Working regime is Mon - Fri 37 hours.
Here at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, Serco has been providing multi-activity and engineering support since 1997. RAF Brize Norton is the largest operating base within the Royal Airforce, providing air transport and air-to-air refueling to the RAF fleet, you will contribute enormously to the vital work carried out at this sire. You will also be part of the wider team, with 5,800 service personnel, 1,200 contractors and 300 civil servants on site.
The Serco RAF Brize Norton Airfield Support Team (AST) Technician's key purpose is to support and provide:
- Control of Managed Radio Equipment (MRE) masts and antennas, including liaison with the RAF Support team (90 SU).
- Airfield frequency management; maintain and update frequency allocations.
- Air Traffic Technical Equipment Safeguarding.
- Participation in siting board meetings and liaison with Armament Safety personnel with reference to the siting of explosive storage areas.
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety.
- Radiation Hazard Safety.
- Crash plan communications including cordon communications.
- Air Traffic Management (ATM) Network faults including Crash Phone lines.
- Input into the Airfield Business Continuity Plan(s) including Airfield Recovery Plan.
- Support the provision of deployable public address systems.
- Building Custodian of radio equipment buildings & facilities.
- Assisting OC CIS X Flt or Flight Sergeant Comms with any reasonable AST tasks.
What you need to do the job:
Vacancy ideally suited to people with ATM qualifications and experience.
- Airfield Support Team (CN4032 AST) or approved equivalent qualifications (CN4000 or CN1932) to work in an airfield communications environment.
Essential technical and professional skills and knowledge
- The ability to successfully implement and apply MoD legislation, MoD Airfield, Radio and Telephony processes, Serco and RAF Brize Norton processes and procedures.
- Pro-active interaction with customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and information management skills including O365.
- Must have experience and proven competence in Audit and Quality reporting and systems.
Additional dimensions, KPIs or special features of the role
- Be willing and able to travel off site to complete MoD and RAF site checks and specialist training courses; courses typically last one or two weeks.
- Hold full UK Driving Licence and have eyesight colour perception of a standard (CP2) to allow driving on the RAF Brize Norton airfield.
- Fulfil the role of Articles in Use Holder (AinU) (Control and account for MoD Supplied Equipment).
As the AinU holder you are responsible for in-use equipment on behalf of the Head of Establishment (RAF Brize Norton, Material Account Owner) for the diligent equipment management. Taking all reasonable precautions to safeguard Service equipment issued to their AinU as detailed within Defence Logistics Framework & Air Logistics Instructions.
- Must implement and promote a Zero Harm Open Safety Reporting Culture where all individuals are willing and able to report any issue or event which they believe has or could potentially lead to a Safety risk.
- Notify the RAF and Serco Management whenever deficiencies emerge that require their attention in respect of safety, risk and compliance..
- Deliver Continuous Improvement to ensure they drive for effectiveness, efficiency and improvements in the output and working environment.
- Shall perform other tasks which are reasonable and relevant to Serco and RAF Brize Norton as directed by the RAF and Serco Management Team
What we offer
There are a range of benefits for working at RAF Brize Norton, we are a Gold Award Armed Forces Covenant. We offer a great employment package that includes a competitive salary, 25 days holiday, 6% Employer Matched Contribution Pension, Life Insurance and other flexible Serco benefits i.e. up to 30% off various shopping and exterior leisure facilities, holidays and VIP tickets.
We have good transport links to Witney/Oxford, we provide free onsite parking and have an onsite Coffee Shop/Bar and 2 Conveniences Stores. You will also have access to the leisure facilities on station (fees/charges apply) Gym, Bowling Alley and Swimming pool. We often hold onsite social events.
Meaningful and vital work: The nature of our business means you will do interesting work that matters - delivering essential services that touch people's lives
A world of opportunity: Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You'll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways.
Great people: We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You'll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse and supportive environment.
Serco Reserve the right to fill this vacancy prior to the closing date of 15 Oct 21.
Candidates must be available to commence work no later than 1 Dec 21.