giffgaff is a little different to your `normal` telecoms company. It`s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its members. Sounds interesting? It is.
giffgaff is a fast growing mobile network. Our business model is unique - we take a highly collaborative approach with our members who help (and are rewarded for helping) across all areas of the business. Our vibrant online community, online platform and immense value proposition are key to our success. We do not have a retail footprint or expensive call centres, so we can pass these savings straight on to our members in a way that no other telecoms business does.
As a lean organisation, our team is built of people who are multi-skilled, highly motivated and flexible - if that sounds you like you we`d love to hear from you.giffgaff - Software Development EngineerAbout Us
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at giffgaff - our agile engineering teams build and support a set of various applications and services that combined create our unique user experience on the giffgaff website, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways and enable a whole range of awesome features via modern APIs.
The quality and maintainability of our software is very important for us, we are looking for engineers with real world experience, especially in terms of the whole development lifecycle. You will help us design and implement tightly focussed APIs, services and user interfaces and, together with your team, you will support them in production. We want you to share your opinions on how we are doing things - and help us get better!
As a Software Development Engineer, you'll be embedded into one of our cross-functional product teams to work on a wide variety of creative technical solutions. Depending on the team profile you may be working on user facing applications, internal tools or processes, or APIs and services implementing our core business logic.About You
We are looking for agile software engineers with passion and energy, a strong desire to learn and improve and a commitment to testing and excellence. You'll have to make tough decisions, implement best practice and provide compromises when situations are not ideal. Oh and you'll need to explain that to people. Not just the technical ones. Because we work in product teams where not everyone is a tech guy. It's fun, you get closer to the business and know more about why we do what we do, not just how.
Our core technologies are React & Java, but (because we're a bit old-skool) we prefer our engineers to be full-stack devs. Coding is coding and the main difference is syntax - right? So were looking for passionate programmers who are comfortable with using a variety of frameworks, languages & tools and who are happy to pick up new skills when the need arises. We know that you'll have a go-to language where you can spin up & deploy new applications in a few minutes and where your expertise shines through, but don't be shy about picking up a new skills and knocking out some killer code that makes our members happy...Key Skills/Experience
Our Tech Stack
- React, React Native or Java 8+
- Familiarity with Git
- Extreme Programming / Kaban & Scrum
The Nuts & Bolts
- On the Server-Side: Java 8 with AspectJ & Maven, Spring Framework including AOP, Boot, Cloud, JDBC, MVC, Security. Relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Oracle & Amazon RDS. Message brokers including ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ or Amazon SNS/SQS. PHP with Zend.
- Continuous Integration with Jenkins, Test-Driven Development with Chai, JUnit, Karma, Mocha, & Sinon, Behaviour-Driven Development with Cucumber / Protractor, Agile Software Development and practical experience of Extreme Programming, Kanban & Scrum
- Candidates with any of the following skills will be strongly preferred: Amazon Web Services, Docker, Kubernetes, Hazelcast, Hystrix, OpenShift, Redis, Zuul
- Love delivering a wow to our members
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of our organisation
- Curiosity & Creativity
- Excellent attention to detail
- Have an interest in technology, mobile and wider popular culture trends
- Able to work under pressure and manage workloads effectively
- Organised, self motivated and accountable for own workload
- A strong team player
- Fun to be with and work with
We're looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care, holiday entitlement and lots of flexible benefits.
Our commitment to flexible working allows us to consider requests for part time and flexible working hours to be options for this role. Like to know more? Feel free to raise it.
Joining giffgaff will give you the freedom to think bigger, be bolder and try new things. Take a deep breath, your career is about to go to exciting new places.