About the role
About the Tesco Technology Search & Recommendations team
We build the APIs that power Tesco's search and recommendation capabilities across all online offerings. We fulfil millions of non-trivial requests with very low latency which presents a lot of interesting technical challenges including personalised content.
We're investing heavily in machine learning and applied statistics to improve result quality. This domain works hand in hand with Data Science team. Our long-term vision goes well beyond online to include mobile, a variety of in-store features for customers and colleagues all on a global scale.
Our systems consists of a set of modern event-driven, RESTful microservices utilising a wide range of technologies including:
- Java, Vert.X, RxJava, Micronaut, NodeJS, Python
- Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Git, Linux
- MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, Redis, Apache Camel, Messaging, Apigee
- Prometheus, Splunk
We are responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle. We maintain a DevOps culture employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond.
You will be responsible for
As a Software Development Manager within Search & Recommendations your primary responsibility is to build and maintain a passionate, engaged and effective development team of engineers. You do this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you, making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team's effectiveness.
Specifically, you will:
- Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
- Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
- Represent Search & Recommendations within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape so as to increase the effectiveness of your contribution.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
- Take ownership of non-functional outcomes within Search & Recommendations including performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Continually look for means to evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
The role will include ownership of the on-call rota to support our applications in production.
You will need
Experience relevant for the job:
- 5+ years of experience as a Java backend developer.
- Experience with Java 8+.
- Experience using SQL & NoSQL Databases.
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS/Azure).
- Experience scaling systems.
- Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban.
- Experience with reactive programming is considered a plus.
- Experience with eCommerce and search systems would be a nice to have, but not necessary.
Skills relevant for the job:
- Written and verbal English communication skills.
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
- Customer focus.
- Innovative approach to problem solving.
What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted Gympass membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes - Join our Buy As You Earn' & Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C's apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life's challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.