giffgaff - Senior Data EngineerWho Are We
giffgaff is a little different to your 'normal' telecoms company. It's a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its customers - our members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It's important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. We're a spirited and disruptive bunch at giffgaff, not every now and then, but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff, must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.About The Team
The core mission of Data Engineering team is to deliver the core data infrastructure and data processing pipelines that support giffgaff's data products and business insights. Our team works horizontally supporting all areas of the business from a data warehousing perspective and has a strong technology focus.About The Role
Reporting into the Data Engineering Technical Lead, the Data Engineer is expected to have deep understanding of data technologies with a strong software engineering background, along with a deep interest in data analytics, machine learning and AI/ML.
The role involves creating data solutions to process data at scale, both in batch and real-time pipelines, to support a wide range of data-driven projects and support our transformation into an AI-ready organisationKey Responsibilities
- Implement/develop pipelines to ingest data into a Snowflake data warehouse from a variety of data sources
- Implement data transformation pipelines for real-time and batch environments
- Support all product teams in adopting our data engineering tech stack to generate new data streams
- Collaborate with Data Science and Business Intelligence teams to identify requirements and develop the necessary data workflows to deliver against those requirements
Ensure the data pipelines and data storage adheres to the information security standards at giffgaffKey Skills & Experience
- Solid experience in either Python and/or Java 8+ (Scala is a plus).
- SQL expertise.
- Relational and non-relational databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Amazon RDS, MongoDB, Neo4J. etc.). Experience with Snowflake data warehouse is a plus.
- Batch processing frameworks, such as Apache Airflow, DBT, etc.
- Message brokers / stream processing technologies (Kinesis, Kafka, Storm, Spark Streaming, Flink, Beam etc.)
- Architecting data pipelines
- Familiarity and interest in cloud native technologies which includes AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon EKS, Terraform
- Familiarity working with structured and unstructured data
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment of code. Knowledge of Jenkins is a plus.
- Experience working in an agile Test-Driven Development (TDD) environment and extreme programming (XP)
- Excellent communication skills
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies, highly regarded for its community model. In return for your outstanding efforts, you'll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We believe that hard work should be supported and recognised. This position plays an important role across the business, allowing you to work cross functionality, take on more responsibility and gain experience, which will greatly benefit you in the future.