As our Sous Chef you will be working in a small team, Head Chef, Sous Chef and Nursery Chef. On race days the team increases and there are up to 30+ across 10 kitchen areas.
Busy race days will consist of 1800+ hospitality covers plus a retail operation and ancillary such as Jockeys.
Newbury Racecourse is a racecourse and events venue in Berkshire. It has courses for flat races and over jumps. It hosts one of Great Britain's 36 annual Group 1 flat races, the Lockinge Stakes. Operating race meetings 12 months of the year, our busiest period is May - August.
It is over 100 years old and combines heritage with everything a modern sporting and events venue can offer. What we'll give:
- £35,000 per annum, 40 hours per week
- Compass exclusive offers on PerksAtWork
- Access to a wide range of programs to train and develop you
- Pension contribution
- Medicash policy
- Eyecare vouchers
More about the role:
Who you are:
- Ensure the Kitchen hygiene standards are without exception adhered to
- Ensure all cost are kept in line with the Kitchen budgets agreed by the company
- All food provided and displayed is of consistent good quality, reflecting Compass Group brand standards
- Anticipate customer needs wherever possible, and to react to these to enhance customer satisfaction
- Prepare, cook and serve food as specified by the Head Chef and to ensure that the food meets the appropriate specification
- Assist the Head Chef in all food preparation and food production in all kitchens
- Monitor the temperature, quality and portion size of all food served from the Kitchen areas
- Ensure good communication throughout the Kitchen department at all times
- Accept deliveries and report to HOD any discrepancies
- Ensure the effective control of refrigeration and dry store goods to ensure that there is no waste
- Ensure that all areas of responsibility are kept sanitised and free from dust and debris at all times, following, strict and pre-agreed cleaning schedules.
- Ensure that the Company Health & Safety procedures are adhered to and implemented within the department
- Comply with any reasonable request from the management team or your Head of Department
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need to control operating costs and energy conservation
- Participate in the weekly stock count at your Line Manager's request, and to action any discrepancies immediately
- Undertake all budgetary controls to achieve budgeted gross profit. Consideration given to stock control and rotation, purchasing, price and portion control, and wastage
- Assist the Head Chef in ensuring HACCP is in place to ensure due diligence
- You will be ambitious, confident, and resilient and someone who take a hands-on approach
- You will have a real passion for fresh ingredients and enjoy creating stunning dishes time and time again, with a proven track record in high quality environments
- Confidence is key with the ability to demonstrate your own style with finesse and flair and illustrate how you keep pace with food trends and translate them to exciting and appealing menu and food offers
- We have a guest first approach and you will showcase how you are able to adapt style to a broad range of experiences
- You will be commercially minded with evidence of successfully managing costs in line with exceptional delivery and evidence experience of supervising or managing people
Who we are:
- City and Guilds 706/2 or NVQ level 3 or equivalent
- Intermediate Food Hygiene/level 2
We ensure you're rewarded for all your hard work, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes but is not limited to:
- Exclusive travel discounts with TUI, Expedia, Booking.com and many more
- Save money on your food shop with discounts on Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and many more
- Up to 44% off cinema tickets to enjoy your favourite blockbuster
- Regular emails filled with the best discounts and savings available
- Receive Wow Points every time you spend and use them on a wide range of brands
- Un-wind with us with free wellness, mindfulness and exercise classes
- You can share all discounts and offers with your friends and families
- Contributory pension scheme
- Grow your career with our Career Pathways programme
Levy UK & Ireland is the sports and hospitality sector of Compass Group UK and Ireland. It is the market leader in the provision of legendary food and drink experiences at some of the UK and Ireland's most significant sporting, arena, and leisure venues. Through strong client partnerships, Levy UK & Ireland creates bespoke food concepts, service standards and pioneering design, implementing a guest-first approach and ongoing innovation at each venue.
Compass Group UK&I is an equal opportunities employer, committed to cultivating diverse and inclusive environments for every employee.