Are you looking for an exciting and rewarding career that combines civilian and military firefighting? Do you have the courage, skills and commitment to serve the Royal Air Force and the nation? If so, you might be interested in this opportunity to become a Sponsored Reserve Firefighter.
We are currently hiring for multiple positions across various locations. Please note that the start dates for these positions are dependent on successful completion of various assessments and course availability at the Fire Service College. As a result, the application process can take several months to complete.
Sponsored Reserves are crucial in providing Defence with a mission-critical service which enables the military to operate in the UK, overseas and on operations.
What you'll be doing:
- You'll be part of the RAF Firefighter force which provides the Aerodrome & Rescue Firefighting capability to Defence across the UK and overseas.
- You'll be ready to respond to and fight fires in the UK, as well as rescue from military aircraft.
- You'll provide a first response to emergencies on the Defence estate and assist in providing fire safety awareness to Station personnel.
- When deployed in the UK and overseas, you'll be required to support operations and exercises in potentially challenging environments.
- You'll be trained to use highly specialised vehicles and equipment.
- Daily tasks will include ensuring that specialised vehicles and equipment are tested and inspected whilst also maintaining and honing your professional firefighter skills.
What we're looking for:
- You must be a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland, holder of a dual UK/other nationality passport, or have been a Commonwealth citizen from birth. You should have resided in the UK for 5 years immediately preceding your application (candidates with a minimum of 3 years will be considered).
- Have a minimum of Grade C or 4 to 5 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics, or SCE Standard Grade 3 in English and Maths or equivalent.
- You'll need to have a current full driving license.
- You'll need to be fit enough to complete initial and specialist training and perform your role effectively. Fitness tests include Selection Fitness Test, and Pre-Joining Fitness Test or Pre-recruit Training Course - the requirements for these tests vary according to role, age, and gender.
- Health requirements must be met by all applicants (Body Mass Index, eyesight, and medical conditions that may preclude entry into the RAF reserves) - disqualifying factors are considered.
- You'll need to be prepared to undertake and pass Situational and Behavioural tests during the recruitment phase and complete all background checks.
About Capita Fire & Rescue (CFR):
Here at Capita, we're changing the future of firefighting and creating a world class Fire and Rescue Service with the UK Ministry of Defence.
Through transformation, innovation and expertise, CFR is a high-performing fire and rescue service which enhances the safety of firefighters and customers and protects their critical assets.
What's in it for you:
The salary for this position is £27,650 per annum, increasing to £31,106 per annum once fully trained. You will also receive a £7,000 remuneration package each time you deploy, plus a £1,500 Operational Training Supplement (if you achieve the required annual training obligation as specified for the RAF). In addition, you will enjoy benefits such as:
- A full training programme to ensure you can do your job safely and to the best of your ability.
- 23 days holiday with the opportunity to buy extra leave, a company matched pension, life assurance, Cycle2Work scheme, 15 weeks' fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, and many more benefits.
- Access to all Capita's Employee Network Groups (ENGs) covering all aspects of diversity and inclusion.
What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We're an equal opportunity and Disability Confident employer, which means we recruit and develop people based on their merit and passion. We're committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and working environment for everyone. If you need the job description or application form in an alternative format (such as large print or audio), or if you'd like to discuss other changes or support you might need going forward, please email Iqbal at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07784 237318 and we'll get back to you. For more information about equal opportunities and process adjustments, please visit the Capita Careers website. LI-Office