Construction of a new 2.4km dual carriageway connecting the M42 and A45 near Birmingham Airport;
- Six new bridges, several retaining walls and a pedestrian underpass
- Demolishing one existing bridge over M42 and several gantries
- Constructing new gantries over the M42 and A45
- Modifications to existing road networks
You will be managing the construction of two bridges over the M42 at the new Junction 5A. This will involve establishing a compound, assembly of two bridge decks offline, bored piling, reinforced soil foundations, reinforced concrete works, lifting operations and installing the two bridge decks using Self-Propelled Modular Transporters (SPMTs) during a possession of the M42 motorway. You will be supported by the Structures Agent (among others). You are expected to take ownership of the detailed planning, delivery, and handover of the section.
- Manage, supervise, train and mentor the site team to enable them to perform their duties effectively.
- Communicate effectively with other engineers, supervisors, enabling functions, designers and client representatives.
- Create an effective working environment for your team.
- Work collaboratively with all members across the integrated project team to ensure we achieve the best outcome for the project.
- Generate temporary works design briefs to a standard accepted by the Temporary Works Coordinator
- Review designs and raise technical queries to the design teams.
- Generate and review red-line drawings for works packages.
Programme and planning
- Produce a 3 month lookahead for your section of works.
- Update the project 4 week lookahead programme weekly for your section. Manage any clashes with other site works.
- Record progress and compare it to planned production for your section. Communicate this progress with relevant stakeholders.
- Identify delays and propose potential mitigation measures
- Produce plans for your works section considering sequences, constraints and interfaces and communicate them with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure your team keeps an accurate and detailed site record for all works. Communicate any change.
- Ensure you and your engineers raise requisitions for plant and materials in a timely and accurate manor.
- Understand the subcontract scope of works and ensure that this is followed by the suppliers.
- Assist the Agent and commercial team in reviewing applications for payment from subcontractors.
- Understand the design specifications and drawings for your section.
- Generate Inspection and Test Plans for your works.
- Generate and manage materials approvals for your works.
- Ensure quality records are captured and stored correctly.
- Be familiar with and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety Policies and procedures.
- Take full responsibility for maintaining the highest health and safety standards on your section of the project.
- Ensure that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the relevant Health and Safety policies and procedures and are kept informed of relevant developments and issues.
- Collaborate with and lead others to plan your works to minimise health and safety hazards.
- Generate and review Risk Assessments and Method Statements for your works, ensuring that they identify and appropriately mitigate health and safety hazards.
- Be familiar with and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Environmental Policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with and lead others to plan your works to minimize environmental hazards.
- Generate and review Risk Assessments and Method Statements for your works, ensuring that they identify and appropriately mitigate environmental hazards.
- Complete environmental inspections and ensure the actions are closed out.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Degree level qualification in a Civil Engineering allied subject or HND in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to diverse audiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and common construction methodologies.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction contracts (through experience and formal training).
- Working towards or in possession of Professional Industry Qualification (IEng, CEng etc.)
- Digital competence (MS Office, document control systems, site digital tools).
- Formal training in Health & Safety and Environmental management (SMSTS)
- Relevant CSCS Card
- The following areas of experience would be beneficial to you performing this role:
- Excavation works (HSG47, managing permits to dig)
- Lifting Operations (CPCS A61 Lifting Appointed Person)
- Temporary Works (Supervisor, designer, or coordinator. Formal training).
- Concrete works (prior experience as a site-based engineer).
- Structural steelwork (prior experience as a site-based engineer).
- A desire to continuously learn and develop yourself and others.
- Collaborate effectively with people of different backgrounds and in different teams.
- Be ethical and transparent about safety, quality and environmental performance on the project.
Our Infrastructure team brings its design, build and refurbishment expertise to complex projects across the country. We form strong partnerships with clients and communities to deliver major infrastructure improvements like Crossrail, HS2 and the M25 widening.
A career with us means you’ll have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. Our competitive benefits package will help to enhance your life outside work, too.
We thrive through embracing differences, whether they be social backgrounds, ethnicity, disability, gender, age, religion, sexuality and any other protected. characteristic – we know that diversity opens a rich potential for new ways of thinking, helping us to build successful and winning teams. We call it Naturally Skanska.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Please note, this is a job advertisement and therefore may not be inclusive of all assigned duties. For a full job description please contact the recruitment team: firstname.lastname@example.org