Base Location: Havant
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | 37 hours per week with Flexible working patterns available, plus inclusion on standby rota.
About the Department
SSE Enterprise Telecoms is one of the UK's leading connectivity providers and operate a 12,000+km private telecoms network and 15 data centres that span the UK. With its extensive telecoms engineering experience, the company provides commercial security with unrivalled in-house engineering resource to Service Providers, Large Enterprises and the Public Sector providing a wide range of products and integrated solutions including leading-edge SD-Wan, Ethernet, Optical and dark fibre services.
What is the Role?
To support SSE Telecoms business growth plans, a vacancy for a Systems Application Engineer has arisen within the SSE Telecoms Operations, System Engineering Team.
What do I need?
The primary focus of the role will be to administer the Telecoms Infrastructure event management application, supporting SSEET's management of service and security across its various Telecoms platforms.
Other duties will involve creating various reports for management / audit purposes, and assisting the team supporting other IT Infrastructure systems.
To be successful in this role you will need a skill set including but not limited to the following:
* Experience working with monitoring and alerting solutions like Splunk or interlink BES/ASI.
* Experience deploying monitoring solutions into a complex environment
* Use various data sources such as Splunk forwarder, NXLog, Syslog, SNMP, SMTP, SQL and translate them into meaningful information.
* Experience working with SQL, and Postgres databases.
* Ability to use programming languages such as Python, Java script, Shell script, Regex, Rexx, HTML, CSS.
* Knowledge of Windows, Linux Redhat operating systems, and Active Directory.
* Experience generating meaningful reports for Audit / management on systems such as Splunk, Qualys, and Tenable.
* A good working knowledge of ServiceNow.
* Understand the requirements of service management (ITIL), engaging internally and externally on incident, change, problem management and understand the requirements of vulnerability management.
* Experience in working with SIEM solutions would be beneficial.
* Any experience with security accreditations such as PCI/ DSS, CE+, ISO27001 would be beneficial.
You will possess strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels (both written and orally), good customer-facing skills with the ability to deal directly with customers on high-level technical issues and an ability to prioritise multiple projects and work under pressure. You will be self-motivated, able to use your own initiative and possess excellent documentation skills. You will have the ability to work with internal/customer/partner teams to ensure clean handover to operational phases of projects and display willingness to learn new skills and develop security expertise.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require submitting your application please get in touch with We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
This vacancy is open to both internal and external candidates. The successful candidate may be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process if their vetting level changes. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.