Systems Engineer - Autonomy, Safety & Security
Portsmouth, PO6 3RU
Leading in the application of autonomous and robotic systems for defence and security, QinetiQ actively develop solutions and provide services to support work in the maritime, land and air domains. We test and design naval mission systems for the likes of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and external customers, who come to us for a battle-winning edge. We're at the forefront of the ever-changing naval landscape, thanks to our extensive network of research partners and our constant testing, assessment and optimisation of systems and components for safety and efficiency.
- Provide systems expertise for design, development, evaluation and assessment activities for a range of small-scale projects, and support the provision of expertise to higher level projects and programmes;
- Provision of technical support and advice to customers on system requirements, design solutions, testing and performance;
- Provision of support to the development of novel autonomous solutions;
- Production of technical documentation in support of work produced;
- Plan and structure your own workload and liaise regularly with project management team/Lead Engineer on progress.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Good working knowledge and experience of Unmanned Vehicle safety and certification issues preferably in at least one of the following domains: Air, Sea, Surface and Underwater;
- Good working knowledge and experience in Security accreditations for UXVs in the Maritime domain, particularly in secure communications both from a crypto and cyber perspective;
- Understanding of and experience in system development issues such as the development and application of a 'house style' for system design, configuration management, non-functional considerations (security accreditation, safety certification, resilience, performance, availability);
- Knowledge and/or experience of working with a wide range of contractors on a single programme;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with demonstrated professional development i.e CEng or equivalent;
- Willing to travel to other UK sites where required (expected up to 10% travel time)
- British National, willing and able to attain MOD SC level clearance
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.