Systems Engineer (Various Levels)
At QinetiQ, we're dedicated to defending sovereign capability, protecting lives, and securing the vital interests of our customers. We are a company of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise that helps our customers protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
We're expanding our systems engineering team based from Farnborough across breadth of our programme portfolio. This is an opportunity for (1) professional systems engineers who are able to operate across domains, thrive on variety and are able to mentor and develop others professionally, and (2) systems engineers with a strong baseline skills and a focussed experience in one or more of the following areas:-
- Prototype / Bespoke hardware development
- Virtualisation / simulation / synthetic environment training system development
- Autonomous / Unmanned system developments and experimentation
- IT / Network / information / data based systems
- Sensor / Control and Software Intensive systems
You will have experience of operating though the engineering lifecycle from requirements capture or analysis through to certification of the outcome. You may specialise in specific elements, such as Requirements, Architecture, Solution Design, Integration and Verification, Acceptance. You will have an eye to tools and developments in systems engineering approaches, and be able to tailor and select routes forwards, working closely with engineering governance and project stakeholders. You may work full time or with some flexibility, and be able to travel according to project needs.
- Application of systems engineering approach and execution of key systems engineering activities on significant projects;
- Engaging with stakeholders, project managers and senior technical staff to ensure customer and business needs are satisfied appropriately and problems are mitigated;
- Leading or working within a technical team in support of project objectives, including planning and structuring technical work and reviewing output;
- Eliciting/critiquing requirements and addressing their satisfaction throughout project lifecycle;
- Performing one or more of key systems engineering (e.g. requirements, architecture, design, integration, verification, acceptance) and/or systems engineering management processes;
- Deliver technical systems engineering;
- Deliver work and report on progress to project leads, stakeholders and customers
- Anticipate and escalate technical delivery challenges with appropriate business and professional discipline stakeholders;
- Plan and structure own work;
- Understand and apply relevant regulatory, safety and technical standards to work and supports compliance.
Key Capabilities / Knowledge
- Sound understanding of systems engineering, its applicability, lifecycle processes, and systems considerations together with sound understanding of wider engineering and engineering management considerations;
- Able to determine suitable system engineering approaches in context of the broader enterprise;
- Understanding of engineering management, technical leadership and project management;
- Able to select and apply relevant systems engineering techniques, tailoring accordingly;
- Able to determine and deliver required systems engineering outputs such as engineering and management plans, product descriptions, test result reports etc.
- Good understanding of role fulfilled by stakeholder/user requirements, system requirements, system specifications, system design descriptions etc.
- Good negotiation and presentation skills.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.