Team Leader - Systems Engineering
We are seeking an inspiring Team Leader who is motivated to lead a team of Systems Engineers to support our business, whilst growing and developing their own and others individual careers. This role is widely varied, with typically one day per week dedicated to team development, progress checks and leadership around your delivery work.
We are looking for people to lead teams and further the sound application of Systems Engineering principles, and with an interest in the typical areas covered at QinetiQ Malvern: Communications & Information Systems (predominantly military environment), Cyber and Security, Electronic Warfare, Research & Innovation, Secured Navigation, Global Navigation Satellite Systems - GNSS and electronic engineering, Consultancy and Business Analysis, Product Development (full lifecycle), Service Delivery, Engagement with customers and developing new propositions.
- Developing your team's systems engineering professional skill and domain knowledge in-line with the business need, working with Group Leads and business communities.
- Coaching individuals on their personal, professional and domain development, ensuring development plans are aligned to business capability needs and capacity to support.
- Mentoring, or arranging mentors to support specific technical development and deployments
- Succession planning in your area of specialism, profession or domain, working with group leads and business communities, contributing to a coherent discipline wide plan.
- Actively supporting the integration and recruitment of people into the discipline.
- Advising, discussing and approving objectives with individuals, coaching through PDR and feedback received; engaging in group wide calibration and performance discussions.
- Actively contributing to Group and Discipline forums to develop and deliver the discipline strategic goals
- Advising on suitable deployments for your team, engaging Resource Managers and related stakeholders as necessary.
- Act as Point of Contact for business and technical communities within your scope of experience, seeking advice and working with the Group Lead to align discipline and business activities.
- Operate with policies, procedures, individual welfare and business need in mind, working with Group Lead and enabling functions.
Essential Capabilities/ Knowledge & Requirements:
- Experience of managing groups of people and developing others, including sometimes addressing complex behaviours where necessary.
- Experience applying systems engineering principles, in line with QinetiQ Technical Excellence and Operating Framework guidance; awareness of recognised relevant standards and external reference points, including professional bodies.
- A Chartered Engineer or equivalent demonstrable experience. Membership and engagement with relevant professional body or technical interest groups.
- British National, able to attain MOD Security clearance.
- Good understanding of the systems engineering profession generally, or specifically in your domain.
- Listening/mentoring/coaching and respected communication skills; consideration of the bigger picture and willingness to seek guidance and advice from others to generate balanced views.
- Collaborative behaviours, understanding of stakeholders' needs and active interest in broader business operations and communities.
- Ability to quickly understand the broad and diverse technical domains across the business, where team members may be deployed.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.