Position: Technical Manager
Business Unit: Kier Living
Sub location: Exeter
You can shape the world around you with Kier Group. We're one of the UK's leading names in construction - inspiring innovations in a multitude of market sectors - and wherever you join us, you'll be able to achieve and collaborate with one of the country's most established and inspired forward thinkers in construction, property, residential and services.
Kier Living is at the forefront of tackling the unprecedented demand for new housing in the UK. Government, local councils and housing associations trust our expert team and 100-year pedigree to deliver affordable mixed tenure and high-quality private developments - a commitment that's seeing us build thousands of new homes every year, offering you a valued role in meeting the housing needs of a nation.
To manage the day to day delivery of technical information to agreed business plan and to support other departments in respect of any technical matters.
- Demonstrate safety objectives/culture through personal actions and communicate H&S best practice throughout the company. Maintain a safe working environment;
- Ensure consultants incorporate risk assessment and CDM procedures in their designs;
- Manage team workload allocation and progress;
- Work closely with Pre-Construction team to maintain a knowledge and understanding of upcoming sites prior to handover. Advise Estimating team of constraints and proposed design solutions of all land / tender opportunities;
- Be cognisant of required site start dates in line with the current Business Plan and manage projects accordingly;
- Take direct responsibility for the management and delivery of certain schemes where required;
- Thoroughly review all engineering designs and correct / amend where necessary;
- Ensure that value engineering opportunities are maximised on all schemes;
- Build and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with other departments at all levels;
- Ensure utility designs are obtained in line with programme requirements;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with appointed architects, consultants and other specialists;
- Monitor legislative and regulatory changes and ensure they are communicated throughout the team;
- Demonstrate business objectives and culture through personal actions;
- Encourage a culture within the team of improving upon targets, developing contingency plans, whilst maintaining open and honest feedback on performance of individual site strategies;
- Produce summary report for director to be able to prepare management reports;
- Set targets for co-ordinators / development managers to include increasing levels of efficiency and output toward meeting business objectives;
- Ensure that good relationships are maintained, promoted and developed with all who are involved in the process;
- Manage and improve poor performance by remaining visible and approachable. Maintain direct responsibility for allocated staff;
- Coach / Guide and develop staff to ensure they can fulfil their role profiles;
- Review training requirements for staff and propose / agree any training sessions with director;
- Ensure team is aware of the standing orders and approval limits;
- Continue to encourage co-operation within multi-disciplinary project teams and team work ethos;
- Demonstrate a strong commercial commitment to maximising profit by value engineering designs;
- Identify and manage risk within projects. Ensure risk register is regularly updated for review;
- Work closely with management team to ensure a flow of new sites into the business, to the required margins, and commencing operations as forecast;
- Ensure opportunities to operate from owned sites are maximised from a technical perspective;
- Prepare and maintain technical fee budgets and manage works within agreed budgets;
- Monitor and advise on cash flow for technical / infrastructure spend for the projects under manager control;
- To agree and arrange suitable bond provision and clearance.
Knowledge and Skills:
- You must have an excellent design ability and details technical knowledge of planning, technical, architectural, civil engineering, and building construction is essential together with experience in the delivery of code for sustainable homes solutions;
- You will have experience in Authority and Utility Design requirements together with associated legislation within the construction industry;
- Previous experience in delivering private and affordable projects and managing a number of complex developments concurrently;
- Must have experience in dealing with customers both internal and external to improve product specification and design.
In return we are offering a competitive salary and package as well as the support and scope to build a long and fruitful partnership with Kier.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.