QinetiQ - Weapons Engineer (Survivability.) - Farnborough
Job description/Person specification: Specific Responsibilities
The job holder will work in the Weapons Science group which is part of the Applied Science division. Within Weapons Science, the Survivability Team provides platform protection expertise spanning; sensing and countermeasures, defensive aids systems, armour, vehicle stopping systems as well as maritime survivability modelling.
The current role requires a background in/technical understanding of Survivability technologies, including;
- Passive and active EO/IR sensors from UV to far IR - such as threat warning sensors including design, modelling and performance
- Lasers and optical countermeasures - lasers, laser countermeasures, optical jammers, multi-spectral obscurant smokes
- Active protection systems/defensive aids systems
- Vehicle stopping technologies
The role holder will need to be able to apply their technical knowledge and conduct the following types of activities:
- Ability to scope and carry out laboratory-based testing of hardware as required
- Ability to write trials plans and support field trial testing of hardware as required
- Concept evaluations, modelling and paper study assessments
- Support bid and proposal preparation in response to customer requirements
It is appreciated that candidates may or may not have all the requirements above and training will be given where required. It is likely that the successful candidate will have a physics, engineering or mathematics background. The role will be based at our Farnborough site.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
- Demonstrate good interpersonal, influencing, analytical and team working skills, and be able to exchange ideas and information effectively in a concise and logical way.
- Have proven planning, organisation and coordinating abilities.
- Exhibit good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers' requirements and problems.
- Personal resilience to handle competing demands and setbacks, proactively anticipates possible problems and using own judgement and initiative derives a range of possible solutions to reach a cost effective outcome.
- Demonstrate knowledge of DAS/APS technologies, systems and sub-systems.
- Have experience of planning and managing complex field trial evaluations.
Challenges with the role include;
- Leading technical programmes in this area
- Working with internal and external stakeholders
- Being a team player - providing technical support to the team in areas of technical expertise, as well as leadership of some repeat-type technical tasks
- Promoting innovation, inventiveness and excellence
- Becoming proficient in a wide range of technical or engineering skills and taking responsibility for utilising these skills to perform experiments and obtain results.
- Being flexible and adaptable to the many and varied challenges faced by this role.
- Leading definition of testing programmes and/or field trial planning and associated approvals as required.
- Helping to identify areas of improvement and working as part of the team to make these happen.
- Provide technical leadership and individual contribution to technical teams to ensure that programmes are delivered effectively and meet customer requirements and expectations as well as leadership of some repeat-type technical tasks
- Provide support to the BD managers and Bid Managers in the construction of work programmes, including their costing and scheduling
- Team working and providing liaison with colleagues, customers and other stakeholders to ensure timely delivery
- Ensure the application of an appropriate level of Technical Assurance for opportunities and projects; as part of the project cycle ensure that customers' requirements and tasks are fully understood and that problems, issues and risks are reliably identified at the outset
- Encourage an open and honest business assurance culture, contribute to continuous improvement initiatives.
- Provision of expert technical analysis of results and presentation to customers at technical meetings or Quarterly Progress meetings or in technical deliverables.
- A first degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent, nationally recognised, professional qualification.
- In lieu of the educational qualifier, would typically have over 3 to 6 years of relevant technical support experience.
- Desirable to have demonstrated key skills by working on sensor, laser or system evaluations.
- Job involves travel in UK and occasionally overseas.
Position Requirements: QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?