Our commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital King's Lynn is committed to supporting armed forces spouses, families and service leavers into employment. The Trust has 3 Armed Forces Champions, a spouse champion and two service leavers champions to assist people with a similar background to settle into their new roles in the NHS. We attend monthly 'get togethers' held at our local RAF base to give individuals confidence in their local hospital either as a place to be treated or somewhere to consider for work experience, volunteering or paid employment. We have links with local armed forces charities to try to understand the wider issues surrounding the armed forces community and we support the RAF Benevolent Fund fundraising.
We also support the Armed Forces Covenant by:
• promoting the fact that we are an armed forces-friendly organisation by publicising our Armed Forces Covenant and the Armed Forces Covenant logo on our website, through our social media and alongside our vacancies on the NHS Jobs website.
• seeking to support the employment of veterans young and old and working with the Career Transition Partnership (CTP) and Step Into Health, in order to establish a tailored employment pathway for Service Leavers;
o Value and recognise military skills and qualifications when interviewing for positions.
o Participate in selected careers fairs for those leaving the Armed Forces
• striving to support the employment of Service spouses and partners by understanding how we can make it easier for them to work in the NHS.
• endeavouring to offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment;
• seeking to support our employees who choose to be members of the Reserve forces, including by accommodating their training and deployment where possible;
• aiming to actively participate in Armed Forces Day by supporting our employees who are Reservists and including information about Armed Forces Day in our staff newsletter to raise awareness of our Armed Forces Covenant commitments.
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital King's Lynn is an acute district general hospital with 500 beds offering a wide variety of services including A&E, maternity, children, surgical specialities and support for patients of all ages through extensive outpatient and day case services to people in our local community. The hospital recruits a wide range of staff to maintain a fully functioning hospital including doctors, nurses, portering, domestics, catering and administrative personnel. The hospital can offer work experience and volunteering opportunities to individuals to give tasters to working in our team, we offer apprenticeships in all levels and across most areas of the hospital including Nursing Apprenticeships.